• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn stuck ON! Update:NEW problem!

Pawnshop

I took the Deuce over to a buddy's house today for some seat time and while he was checking it out he decided to hit the horn, and that is when it decided to stick ON. I ran around and dumped the air tanks to shut it off. After some troubleshooting I determined the solenoid is stuck. I capped the air line off to get it back to the shop, but want to get her "horny" again. Can I dissassemble the solenoid and clean or rebuild it? Should I just replace it? If so, where can I find one?

thx, Sam

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Horn stuck ON!

Are you certain its the solenoid? I'd look real close at the horn button. The steering wheel turns oblong and the plastic insert sticks. Pop the rubber off and double check that.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Horn stuck ON!

I would just spend the 30 or 40 bucks and buy a brand new one.Even though,I betcha the spring is sprung inside the housing for the valve.

JasonS

I bought a new horn solenoid last year. Appeared to work fine. However, as the air pressure decreased, the horn solenoid would open up and the horn would "moo" until the air tanks emptied. Long after I'd gone home, of course. Kind of funny.

MilitaryRestoration

lol this happened to me not that long ago in the 5ton... trying to sneak it outta the neighbor hood at 0200 in the morning started it up and the more that the air pressure built the louder the horn got haha how embarrassing, so turned off and drained air tank real quick... then pushed the button a few times and it released the solenoid... maybe just play with her a lil bit ;-)

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sam, give Lyn a shout, I saw a decent horn in a box at his place friday. He may have a horn button too, if that's the problem.
Your horn did sound kinda pathetic winding down over the phone... :D

Cheers

FreightTrain

Banned
The valve consist of the housing that has a coil of wire.In side that is a spring and a metal bullet with a rubber face.The threaded in for the outlet part comes out(threaded) and has an O ring on it to seal it to teh body plus a pipe that seals against the rubber face of the bullet inside.Pretty much that is the whole thing.Good chance the rubber has degraded,spring rusted through and broke,orthere is crud in there.But Considering the age of all the parts I would get a new one and be done with it for the next 30 years.

FreightTrain

Banned
oh,don't do like I did in the above picture.Hugg the horn base a little closer with teh hose.I can barely get my filter can off now.I free handed all the bends and was afraid of collapsing the line.That copper tubing ain't cheap!

Pawnshop

For some reason my horn isn't the "squealer" that I normaly associate with a Deuce, I think the Army may have swapped in another unit, looks like a squealer but sounds like a truck. I will dissassemble the solenoid and see what I find in there, then likely replace it anyway. After I take it apart, learn how it should work, re-assemble and have it not work, re-dissassemble and loose some parts then give up and buy a new one, that is usualy SOP for me.

MilitaryRestoration

that adj is on the back of each horn itself usually a allen screw... I've been tempted to putting a set of civilian truck air horns on our trucks but just cant seem to do it yet... horns or so much more distinct on military vehicles :)

steelandcanvas

Pawnshop I tore mine apart a few weeks ago, glad I did. Cleaned everything up, including the horns, works like a champ. I did have to replace that o ring, cost me two bits at the hardware store. There should be a recessed hex screw in the back of each horn, after assembling tune for max output and tone.

goldneagle

I installed civi air horns in my Deuce similar to FT's. They are loud enough to give a pedestrian heart failure or at least pee themselves! My neighbor who lives about 6 houses down the street was asking me yesterday if I was using the horns on my truck...said he could hear it well inside his house.. Yep that was me!

Pawnshop

I took the solenoid apart, cleaned it and added another spring to get the thingie up to make contact and stop air flow. Now it wont do anything! I read voltage at the solenoid and am only getting 13v. The horn button is the new style sealed unit so it's not a corrosion/contact problem (or is it?). Is it possible that the button also failed?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks