• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hot Rod Deuce - or, I have way too much time on my hands!

superdeuce

What I did to my Deuce -
1967 M35A2 “Deuce”, 2.5 ton 6x6 GVW: 24,000 lbs. Stock engine: 465 cid diesel: 145 hp, 420 lb ft torque = 55mph on a good day. Remaining stock components: 2:1 transfer case 6.71:1 Rockwell double reduction axles

Modifications: Engine: 496 cid (8.1L) Chevy. 330 hp, 450 lb ft torque = too much potential speed for the brakes! Engine is moved to the front of the frame and sits high enough for the pan to be protected by the undercarriage. Front bumper moved forward 10" and raised 6" to keep a decent approach angle.
Transmission: 6sp manual ZF with overdrive rated 21,264 GVW w/ 4.10:1 axle ratio.
Estimated GVW: 17,000. Tires: 10) 11R20 (44" tall x 10" wide) plus a set of mud/snow chains just in case. Locking hubs for the front. Manual transfer case lockup. Pinion parking brake.
Matching set of Necky kayaks.
100 gal fuel capacity and a 2 micron fuel filter.

Cab: The cab is raised 6" and moved forward 22" to provide garage space for a Yamah XT600. The wind shield was replaced with one that is sloped for better aerodynamics & more dash space. The cab interior is lined with lead sheet and high density foam to reduce outside noise. Custom air suspension off road seats. Tilt steering wheel. Pioneer stereo/CD with Cambridge labs amplified sub woofer sound system. GPS interface to lap top computer so we can get really lost in the boonies. Emergency strobe. 400,000 candle power remote control search light. Great for gigging frogs and scaring the b’geezus out of late night lookie-looz!
100 gal water in a stainless steel tank with an ozone water treatment & dual mechanical filtration.
Outside tool storage along the original bed. Cross bed storage for canned food (about 200 lbs capacity) and spare parts.

Habitat: Self contained camper with ‘pop top’ to keep the overhead clearance as low as possible. Interior has 6'6" head room, 8' wide, 12' long. The interior ceiling and walls are laminated to the outer aluminum skin with luan and extruded polystyrene foam. Other stuff: porta potty, hot water heater, shower, love seat with storage underneath, two 3.4 cf refrigerators, ice maker, two burner stove, queen bed with storage underneath, 27" wide format LCD TV, DVD player with surround sound stereo. Enough stuff, food, and water to keep us happy for about a month at a remote lake with lots of trout. Security: most of it is illegal in many parts of the country - but it works good! ******************************************************** A kick in the ass to Fuel Injection Specialties of San Antonio: They sold me the harness & engine management computer that didn't fit, didn't work, and they didn't care! ******************************************************** Kudos to: Don Leach & Mike at Engines Direct in Phoenix Az. Or on the web: enginesdirect.com. Provided the engine, transmission, and invaluable resourcing.
Brian Cylkowski of VR Technologies, referred to us by Don Leach - this guy knows so much about fuel injection and related digital technology, that trying to keep up with his mental gymnastics makes my head hurt! He saved the day for us by cleaning up our ECM/wiring harness fiasco (see above 'kick in the ass'). Brian has also spent alot of time designing & testing the fire control & guidance systems on the A1 Abrams - just in case some of you guys have one that doesn't work. You can contact Brian at: bcylkowski@qmail.com.
Dan at The Machine Shop in Chino Valley Az.
My wife.

hot rod deuce

Hmm wow alot of that sounds amazingly like my plans all except for the gasser How did you like that lead/foam sounds stuff? I had my eye on some DYNA MAT that is like that...

Still need some pics uoi do ,man!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems awfully detailed for a BS post. Details DO make a good con, but this much, including email addresses?

What is he trying to accomplish? Sell us his truck? I would like to see pictures, yes siree bob, but I'm not willing to hit the 'tastes like BS' button yet.

mangus580

guys.. lets give him a chance. I saw an engine had listed on ebay, and inquired more. After telling me why he was selling his LDT.... I invited him over here. I am sure he is still figuring out how things work here.

bcylkowski

Hi guys, I have been working with Jerry for a bit trying to make things properly. He has E-mailed quite a few photos to me about specific questions that I had for him. I obviously can't post them without his permission but I cetinally will ask him to provide photos. He does have it running and is busy with a shakedown. Brian

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian,
Welcome. Tell Jerry we are all envious and want to see pictures.

Folks, if we all just 'accepted' stock, we'd all still be riding horses or walking.

Here's to the folks that have that vision. Lots of you here do as well. I've seen all sorts of mods I want to attempt. BUT first I've gotta get the truck.

FINALLY caught the wife in a moment of weakness and she said yes. Well, she said I could start looking...

Things progress...

Welcome Brian! Welcome Jerry!

hot rod deuce

Hey brian i see your from the detroit area....just curious what the city is like, i got side tracked on the way to canada and well i can say i have see the ghetto....no ive BEEN IN the ghetto

superdeuce

After WWII was over, my father and some of his Army buddies who lived in the San Francisco area bought some surplus Harleys. They chopped, tweeked, and swapped out parts then rode their butts off. It would have been, and still is a shame, not to breathe new life into some great machinery. Some like it stock, some not - thats the American way. I inherited the bug to build.
Being new to the site I am not familiar with some of the jargon - I presume 'BS' would be an abreviation for 'Built Strong'!
I will be posting pix of the cab and habitat interiors in a couple of days.

superdeuce said:
After WWII was over, my father and some of his Army buddies who lived in the San Francisco area bought some surplus Harleys. They chopped, tweeked, and swapped out parts then rode their butts off.
I will be posting pix of the cab and habitat interiors in a couple of days.
I believe they called them "Bob Job" on the Harleys. Started the chopper movement.

Would love to see more (much more) pictures of your Deuce. Keep 'em coming. Looks like you did a lot of work to it.

Welcome to the forum by the way SD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks