• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Houston Generator info Needed

RustyInHouston

Gents,

URGENT HELP NEEDED I'm in Houston, and having a **** of a time with my MEP017a Generator. Can you reach out to your friends and help us?

I'm a marine engineer and have extensive experience with generators and power generation. I just need y'alls help in fixing the common gremlins.

We happen to be on high ground (planned :) ) but we now need my (broken) generator.

MEP017aSymptoms:
· Engine runs good, can maintain 60/61 HZ, but engine seems to "hunt" under zero load. (not uncommon)
· Voltage output at 208/120/3ph "dances" around 170v. Rheostat only changes voltage between 120v-170v
· I cannot get the 208 3ph that we need.
· Single phase operation is nearly impossible to get consistent 120v power.
· We have tried the "field flash" switch, and held it as long as 5 seconds (engine off)
· Fuel is good and reliable, we are burning 100LL (low-lead), and the engine is running good.
· We are now on an "island" and spares are not a possibility.

Help?

Rusty
832-510-6020

Guyfang

Staff member
Rusty,

Have you ever seen this gen set work right? Is it new to you all, or is it something just acquired?

1. The hunting could be a sign of the fuel system having too much lacquer in it. You know, when gas sets too long someplace, a lacquer film forms. OR, it could be your mechanical fuel pump is weak. Or you have some kind of restriction/clogging in the system. As you know, this is not the newest of gen sets, so this could very easily be the problem. Also check the linkage to the Carb. It must move freely. If I had some carb cleaner, I would toss a can into the fuel tank.

2. This sounds like a loose wire or maybe the R1 wiper arm is loose/worn. If the set is new to you, check the wiring on the volt regulator against the Schematics. This regulator is generic. Fits several different types of get sets.

3. What means" I cant get the 208/120 that we need". Does this mean that a phase, or even two phases is not present? Or that you have all three phases, but the voltage is low on all phases? Or you cant change it from single to three phase.

4. Do you need both 120 and 208?

5. Field Flash works only when the gen set is running.

Check that stuff. It seems as if you have two problems here. One is engine stability. Two is low voltage. Have you looked at the troubleshooting diagram in the manuals? Have you downloaded the manuals? I will take a gander at the troubleshooting diagram. Without being able to lay hands on, I would say the R-1 or volt reg is suspect. But first check out if its wired right.

Are you awake now? I am a few time zones out of wack with you. If you are awake, we might be able to work it out online.

Guy Wiltfang

Guyfang

Staff member
Rusty,

look ok at page 54, (PDFs reader page number) of the 332-14 manual. Then tell me what position you have the voltage reconnect switch.

jamawieb

I've had similar symptoms with heavy rain water getting into the internals. I would have to let it dry out, then everything would run perfect. I would have inconsistent voltage drops or overages.

snowtrac nome

those generators will not do 120/208 they will do 120 or 208 but with out reconnecting wires at the reconnection switch to supply a natural leg you wont have 120/208

rustystud

I've had problems with the carbs on those units before. Maybe he can carefully tear it down and give it a good cleaning. Hopefully without hurting the float.
To bad he waited until now to check out his generator.
This is a good lesson to everyone else. Make sure your emergency equipment is running well "before" you need it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks