• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How booms get bent, or how not to read the TM's

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's how they train them to do it.
Seen a few videos of training and they are all like that.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's scary then...... I don't know a lot ton of how much my boom is supposed to take, but I know at fully extended it's about 300 lbs........

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's scary then...... I don't know a lot ton of how much my boom is supposed to take, but I know at fully extended it's about 300 lbs........
A wrecker will do 4K lift extended with outriggers. 3K without. (I'm going off memory from what my crane says on the placard, it's been several months since I've used it honestly. But far more than 300 lbs.)

I don't think that is a M936 doing the work, HEMMET wrecker at work.
I think it's as you say a HEMMT wrecker. I looked it up and that crane says 14K lbs at 9ft. And I'm certain that's well over 9ft. So yeah, risky to say the least. It does appear that they're not trying to lift the truck though, only "guide" it over. Perhaps papabear or someone more knowledge can shed some light on it.

red

Should be the drag winch run out to the 'upper' frame channel on the rolled truck to bring it upright. Could see the crane flex in the video at the last extension when the truck rolled past its tipping point.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a training session the guy didn't quite get it right.
Also it looked like it Flexed but it was just taking the weight.
It seems it does that at full boom, it makes you very nervous.
Don't even notice it at half boom or less.

red

Familiar with the whole boom flexing at load, but in the video you can see that the last extension was flexing much more than it should at that point. Unless that particular model is designed to flex that much more in the last extension, it was overloaded at that point.

Lukes_deuce

I'm not a boom truck expert but I do watch a few very experienced operators at work. That is not the correct way to upright the truck. As stated above, the boom is out too far and was overloaded. When the guys at work pull or drag something, it's always with pulling the boom in. Not using the cable to lift at max reach. It's a combo of having the object shift it's center of gravity and then use the "pulling" feature of the boom. Also the angle is way too low. The higher the angle, the more weight lifting capacity a boom has.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Differently a HEMMT, give away's, Bubble gums on fender deck, and bumper lift cradle, oh and tires(I know everyone changes them)! Also with a yard full of HEMMT's, I'd say that's another clue, not a guarantee but clues!

They do flex in some conditions!

Oh, and the Military never works the way civilian tow company's work, never not even close! :popcorn:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is normal boom flex when it takes the load, it is slow and easy, the video did not depict a normal flex from taking the load but rather a sudden SHOCK load to the boom, this will bend a boom faster even then a overload, If not bend it at the moment of the shock, cause inner cracks that WILL cause a boom issue later on. A lot of people do not realize that just because there is not any "apparent" damage at the time of the abuse to a crane does not mean there is no damage, the after effect of the abuse may show up a long time down the road, while doing a no big deal pick or movement, this is one of the MAJOR ways people get hurt/killed while dealing with cranes and how things get tore up.

So guys PLEASE remember that load shock to a crane, ANY CRANE, is about the worse if not the worse thing you can do to a crane, the SHOCK effects every part of the crane, every nut/bolt, ect..