• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How can i tell how many miles/hours my engine was rebuilt ago?

I just bought it, the plate says the engine was replace in 1988, it has 51,000 miles 1400 hours or so, how can i tell when it was rebuilt? Do they mark it somewhere? Or do they replace the odometer and hour meter when they do so?

i mean it wasnt rebuilt it was replaced in 1988. its a LDS465 1A with a C turbo, its stamped 88 by Tead std in all categories so i assume it was replaced since it wasnt bored or oversized and its not an ldt

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just bought it, the plate says the engine was replace in 1988, it has 51,000 miles 1400 hours or so, how can i tell when it was rebuilt? Do they mark it somewhere? Or do they replace the odometer and hour meter when they do so?
Nope, it could be right, it could be wrong.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes

Gimpyrob - So you are saying the engine plate could be wrong and not be the right engine it says it is? It sure has alot of power to be a ldt

swbradley - so they do replace the odometer and speedometer then? or were you saying they mark it somewhere?

1400 hours doesnt seem like very much for 51000 miles, if thats correct it must have been mostly highway miles to maintain a 36mph speed. I could be wrong on the hours though i should double check but thats what i remember. Is 51,000 alot for these motors then?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rule of thumb I use is somewhere around 30mph to match the odo and hour meters.

Yes, they can change anything at anytime and not mark anything.

At the end of the day, you pay your money and ya takes your chances, agagaga.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

No, I believe the engine is an LDS, but there is no reason to expect them to swap out the speedo or tach when they did the motor. It sounds like they might, but no way to know.

Yeah my 2007 international has 224k on it with 7100 hours, and that comes out to about 31mph average and this truck has been all highway all its life (dock to dock), and i can average 70mph on most freeways, so 36mph in this truck just seems high condiering it mxes out at 50mph (2400rpm) for me. I was thinking maybe they swapped the hour gauge but not the odometer. i dunno though.

I see, i thought maybe the serial number would be traceable or something. Same as i can take my duramaxs vin to any chevy dealer and they can print out every servicve ever performed on my truck at a chevy dealer.

barefootin

You may never know.... My odo on the '70 says 1,567 miles.... I didn't buy it believing it, but the engine looks it. There are no leaks or discoloration on the blocks or head. The valve train and bottom end are clean with no rust or deposits (bore scope) and oil stays clean. There is minimal blow by even when idling for a while. Mine does have the Toole rebuild tag and stickers on the engine, tranny, and transfer case. If it runs good, love it for what it is.....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing the odometer is good for is to tell you when you need to change the oil. Never buy a truck based on the fact that it shows low miles or hours.

I picked up a truck from Redstone awhile back showing 5,000 miles and 200hrs. After inspecting the truck I believe these figures to be accurate. Not since rebuild but for the whole life of the truck. It only had one coat of paint and the tools and manuals in the toolbox had never been taken out of their original packaging. Packaging was dated the same as the truck (1971). Ended up the truck had all sorts of problems just from sitting for long periods of time. All items such as seals and hoses weren't worn out but just very old and failed a short time after putting it on the road.

gimpyrobb

My wrecker had an LDS put in it in 88. Very low mileage, the crank snapped 2 years after I owned it. It could have something to do with DH driving it last, but I'm not one to point fingers!:gimp2:

Yes, DCNG stands for District of Columbia National Guard.:driver:
Is that really what it means? I did by it about 15 minutes from DC

I wasnt too concerned with mileage or hours for reliability, i was more concerned with any history i could find on it. i know its more how it was maintained and how i take care of it as to how long it will last.

I bought this truck to replace my duramax/allison silverado for towing and inclimate driving weather so i plan on replacing much of everything to make it a safe and reliable driving vehicle thought i only drive my truck probably 1,000 miles a year.

Are there longblocks or rebuild kits readily available for the LDS? Or is it pretty much only what was made is what is left.

Thanks Mckeeranger i will get all the info for that thread and post it.

I don't drive my much at all, I am a truck driver by proffession so the driveability its much of a concern to me. it is much more fun and I don't see why it couldn't be made as reliable and alsafe especially when towing 20,000lb plus