• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you get the solenoid "IN"

edpdx

I read some threads here from members that have replaced the solenoid on their 28MT starters- they hassled getting it out; but didn't say how hey got it back in- onto the little fork in the starter housing.

Someone who knows please post a solution. I was able to rotate and pull the old one out; but can get the new one back in.
Thanks,
Ed

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter repair and testing is covered in TM 9-2320-289-34

edpdx

Doghead, thanks, I went to the -20 manual and they did not seem to cover this the same way. I was trying to replace the solenoid without opening the motor case. I did not think the answer was to pull the pivot screw at the shift lever. The one in the -34 manual shows, I think, the direct drive.

The short answer is that to get the solenoid out and back in again, simply unscrew the bolt on the case that acts as the pivot for the shift lever. It drops the the lever enough for you to lift the plunger spool out of the yolk of the lever. Use a small pick or allen wrench to move the hole of the shift lever into alignment when you are pushing the bolt back during re-installation.

Thanks again, I'll be checking all the manuals from now on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try this DelcoRemy manual for the 28MT Gear Reduction Starter.

1M-128

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks