• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how do you hook up tow bar axel chains

gem1410

have to tow an m35a2 with a built up front bumper with no place to hook up a tow bar--i purchased the axel chains and towed an m35 last week but noticed the chain assembles slide back and forth about 3 inches--is this common and what is the proper hook up for the chains--thanks george

Barrman

I have used the chains both inside the leaf springs and outside the springs. Outside requires the brake lines to be moved out of the way. It tows better with them wider apart on the outside as well.

I have never had the axle wraps move any. Granted, I have only towed about 300 miles with them on 3 different vehicles, but they didn't move.

gem1410

Thank you both for your help--the tm was what i needed--good luck with your trucks ---- when you tow do you need someone inside the truck being towed to assist on sharp turns

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I usually air the front tires to 65. Sometimes when not on pavement, help is needed, but usually no help once on paved roads. I try to plan on wide turns. Sharp turns do lock up the steering.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A couple questions:

What is your towing vehicle?
How far are you going?
Does NJ law allows a person to be in the towed vehicle? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Do you mean someone to hop in...say at the end of the street to help make a turn there versus riding in the towed vehicle the whole time?

You're not too far from Lakehurst/Ft Dix (I use to live in Old Bridge).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gem, are you getting these from Lakehurst? I won a truck(cucv) there and I'm looking for someone to look it over and or maybe even retreive it for me. EUC should be soon.

gem1410

Towed the truck home today--steering was stiff as this truck is kind of beat up--bought it for parts--made it home no problem--40 miles-------thank you all very much----i am going to lakehurst tomorrow--what did you get--i can take a look at it and tell you if its driveable or not--call me tomorrow around 10am--george--732-581-9058

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks