• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How hard are deuces to work on?

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,They are a beeze if you have a good back and BIG tools.There is nothing to them really.Can't get any more bare bones and still have something that functions.But,standard vehicular repair kits just won't cut it.Pick up a minimum of a 1/2" ratchet but preferably a 3/4" with sockets and a minimum of a 3/4" impact.There are some 1/2" impacts that will work but I like the extra balls of the 3/4".....then there is the Mother of all impacts the 1".If you can't get it off with that then best to just red wrench it and replace it.Most of the stuff is actually cheaper for a deuce than a Civy ride since it is Government surplus.But don't be fooled,you can get a deuce stuck.....Just cause it is Huge and 6x6 doesn't mean it is unstopable.When you get it stuck......YOUR STUCK!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are all nuts and bolts. I think they'reeasier than gas.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Pretty easy. At least you can get to everything............but some components are heavy.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
The Deuce is actually very simple. It is though, a mental test in that you must use clever common sense in moving around the heavier pieces. You will blow a number of discs in your back if you think you can just toss stuff around. But, even working alone you do most anything as long as you think it through.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Like others have said, the deuce is mechanically simple, but you'll need bigger tools... 1/2" and 3/4" impact wrenches plus sockets, big jack stands, big bottle jack, wheel lift, and a strong back. Here's one of my deuces (long since sold) when I was rotating the tires:

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck1/p11.jpg

The wheels weigh over 200 pounds each. Here's a pile of them, with a Ford Mustang in the background for scale:

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck1/p12.jpg

Even things like brake drums and hubs are awfully heavy:

http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck1/p18.jpg

SierraHotel

Compared with today’s trucks, they are easier (less stuff).
Compared with today’s trucks, parts are cheap.
Almost all of the mechanics manuals are online hear, so you shouldn’t have any questions. However, if you do, it has probably already been asked on here.
For a toy, they are absolutely fantastic!

OD_Coyote

SierraHotel said:
Compared with today’s trucks, they are easier (less stuff).
Compared with today’s trucks, parts are cheap.
Almost all of the mechanics manuals are online hear, so you shouldn’t have any questions. However, if you do, it has probably already been asked on here.
For a toy, they are absolutely fantastic!
:ditto:
They are fantastic for hauling fire wood, gravel and other misc things as well.

sailor2000

Plus... beast that they are, they are just plain COOL to drive!!! LOL!!

yes.. everything is BIG and HEAVY... but, you can get at everything... no jack needed to get under it... and there are no EXTRA do-dads to break... a perfect example of form following function!!!

FrankUSMC

One more plus, sence they were used almost forever in the military, it is not that hard to find some one who worked on one while in the military. If you stop by the VFW and ask for help do not go into shock if you see grand pa, and a teenager step up to help you.
One of the few, Frank USMC Ret.

kcimb

I ask because I notice that a lot of trucks on GL do not run...I am interested in getting a deuce (most likely a 5 ton truck) but I was somewhat worried about doing it myself.

acetomatoco

Remember that you do not need any impact wrenches to work on the Deuces..or 5 tons for that matter... A 3/4 socket set and a breaker bar and a piece of pipe will suffice... Impact tools are noisy and require a compressor bigger than the on board one for most jobs... Peace of mind and tranquility reign with mechanical advantage... Nice sturdy hand tools will do the job each time... you are not in a race in the pits.... I can still skinny down a 10 ton alone with no power tools at my age...65 next January (However, you do need the hard copy manuals for your particular truck to study in bed each night)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks