• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Hot Is Too Hot?

Sand

I have a question about temperature. I have a 1987 M998. It runs around 220 degrees. Some people I've talked to say that that's fine because the older ones ran hot. Some people say that I'm going to blow the head gasket. The gauge is accurate. I did an infrared temp at the thermostat. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the fan is kicking on at that temp and cooling it down about 10-20 degrees then kicking off, then you should be fine.
Above 230 degrees is when you need to start worrying, but 220 is fine.

Water boils at 212 at sea level.
Under 15psi pressure (standard radiator cap) the boiling point is raised to over 250 degrees. As long as you aren't boiling over coolant during your normal operation, you are good.

The newer trucks run hotter than the old ones. I believe the turbo trucks are allowed up to 240 before it shows overheating

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
220 then the fan kicks on with my 91 M998. I would like it a little cooler but this is how they are setup. I wonder what thermostat they have in them.

Mark

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gauge sender is under the alternator in the cylinder head which is the hottest part of the system.
the fan sensor is in the water neck right behind the thermostat which should be 190 degrees.
If your fan cycles on and off while moving, your system is working perfectly.
The gauges are usually not accurate

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
220 then the fan kicks on with my 91 M998. I would like it a little cooler but this is how they are setup. I wonder what thermostat they have in them.

Mark
I really does not matter what thermostat they have in them as the fan controls the temp.
If the fan came on and the temp continued to climb then I would consider the thermostat but as it is the thermostat is fully open by the time the fan kicks on.
I tried many things, thermostats, no thermostat, putting a restriction in the bypass hose to force more water through the radiator and never saw a nickles worth of difference.