• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long can you store Diesel?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Local oil co here where i live says that now there is no high sulfer fuel available . He said the on road off road red is the same low sulfer and the only place a high sulfer fuel can be used is outside U.S. waters by big ships its no where in the pipe line as of 5 minutes ago so now we know !
500ppm is consider low Sulphur still.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others said, there are a lot of factors in how long a fuel will last.
Oxygen and moisture are the two fastest killers.
Biofuel blends are also much shorter life because of the organic components.

Straight 100% diesel, in an airtight container, in a cool location, can last a very long time.

There are also additives like StarTron that are basically enzymes that can help return old fuel to usability.
Most of my fuel is in Scepter NATO fuel cans, and after several years of sitting outside in the shade they are all still usable. Some get anti-gel just in case I need to drive somewhere cold, but most just get a little biocide and whatever additive bottle was on sale at Tractor Supply.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read through CRF 40, Chapter 1, Subchapter C, Part 80 and from my interpretation, ULSD became the standard for everything except for a couple of carved out users in railroad and marine sectors. It reads that as part of Tier 3 adoption in 2014 there should be no diesel labeled offroad available above 15ppm. I'm in no way an expert on this stuff. Only sharing what I've read. I've not seen any diesel either as on-road or off-road/marine here in NC labeled as anything other than >15 PPM.

This stuff isn't the easiest to parse but it also looks like some home heating oil doesn't have to meet the >15 PPM standard. I suspect this would be exceeding rare in the wild since it would have to be batched separately from the ULS stuff.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I store very little diesel fuel for my generator. However, I have a deuce, a diesel FLU419, two JD diesel tractors, a diesel Mercedes car, and a diesel F250. I simply use a dip tube into the fuel tanks of the vehicles to fill the day tank on the MEP003A generator. Since vehicle fuel tanks are frequently topped off, the fuel for my generator is always fresh.

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in New England I've been told that for the last 3 years or more, HHO is also ULS, just dyed red for no tax.
It looks like in New England HHO is likely to be a mix of oil and biodiesel:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High percentage biodiesel blends for home heating oil sounds like a bad idea to me. Not everyone goes through a full tank in a year, and with how quickly biodiesel breaks down and grows biological contaminants, there is going to be a lot more system failures in the future.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
High percentage biodiesel blends for home heating oil sounds like a bad idea to me. Not everyone goes through a full tank in a year, and with how quickly biodiesel breaks down and grows biological contaminants, there is going to be a lot more system failures in the future.
You are right Coug!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a way to increase govt tax coffers, by employing more boiler repair techs!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks