• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how many miles do these things last?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine with 17,000 on it, just clicked 30K this afternoon.. It doesn't seem like anything is really wearing out. How long do they last?

How many miles does your deuce have on it?

If you have changed engines or other major components, please say..

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had 29.409 on it when I got it, Now has 30.551...1142 miles in 9 months, uses no oil, leaks a little, have added no oil since the oil change at 29.500. Runs good!

poppop

These trucks were built tough to be dependable in rough conditions. You can't compare them to an over the road truck because these were built to travel on highways and last for lots of miles. I think the government rebuilt these trucks on a time line in years and not on a need for rebuild. They had to be ready to go and get the job done. Soldiers lives depended on them. So compare them to farm tractors which run full RPM most of the time in dusty conditions pulling all they will pull. The accepted norm for engines is 6000 hours. Multiply that times 50 miles per hour and you get 300,000 miles. I think it will take most of us a long time to wear these trucks out the way we drive them. Most of the breakdowns will be a mechanal problem that was going to happen anyway just as it does in farm tractors or any other vehicle.

texas-5-ton

Our M813 is showing 11,800 miles and 1,200 hours. The tag on the door said it was rebuilt in 93. I've often wondered the same thing and hope that this truck will last our department many years. One reason for us buying this 813 was for the rough and tough conditions that our brush fire trucks are put through. One of the main problems that we have with our 1 tons is that they overheat in the summer months. Now couple that with driving over rough terrain and going thru smoke and heavy soot and it is very hard on a vehicle. Not to mention that these trucks go from sitting for several days at a time to working their guts out on a grass fire and being put to the ultimate test. My hope is that this M813 can do this job without having the overheating problems that we have had in the past with our smaller trucks.

poppop

I think most of these trucks were ued off road because usually when they had to be moved the government hired overthe road trucks to ttransprot them. Of course that is in country and not in wartime conditions. In wartime they did what was asked of them.

ida34

We drove our trucks were ever we went. Most miles are racked up on improved and unimproved roads. Only when you get to a position do you leave the road to go off road. Even in our push into Iraq in the first gulf war we had engineers plowing a road right in front of us. This road was only a few hours old. Tracks are transported mostly by truck or rail then spend most of their time off road. I would say that at more than 99% of the miles on the trucks are racked up on the road. The only time any of our trucks were rail or truck transported was when we went to NTC from Fort Campbell. The trucks were made capable of going off road but they are primarily on road vehicles.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Truck company had M 818's that spent 98% of the time on hardball roads and only took to the mud when we did an FTX or ARTEP since we were a line haul company this was to be expected and when coupled to a fully loaded M 127 you would understand why we liked hardball. In mud they were kinda like spooked tractors in the movie Cars which if you have not seen you must just for the fun of it and watch it with you wife or lover since it is worth the time spent. When we got M 915 tractors a sigh of releif was heard around the entire base. I however groaned because trying to command them from a M 151 was just plain insane. Getting my first M1009 gave me a equal (almost top end) and chance to keep up. The M915's of course were even worse off road and stayed 99.5% on the hardball. At any rate Military trucks will last way beyond most of the operators if good PMCS is done and the money exists for spares.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks