• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many temp sensors/switches on '09

tequilaiam

In looking through the TMs to debug my hard start issues I keep running across temp sensors and switches that all appear in different places. Exactly how many are there? Does the GP controller use the same one that the idiot light does? What about the cold advance switch? i can't tell if they're all different or some of the same ones from the line drawings.

Is there a resistance vs. temperature chart anywhere for the GP controller sensor?

As far as I can tell there is:
*A cold start advance switch somewhere above cylinder 8 (rear passenger side)
*and an engine temperature sensor somewhere under the drivers side valve cover?
(from page 2-63 of the -34 TM)

*a coolant temp sender near cylinder 1 (front drivers side)
(from page 4-35 of -20 TM)

*and yet another temperature switch near the thermostat on the water crossover (page 2-147 on the -34TM)

Have i got that correct? The switch is easy enough to test but what about the sensors/sending units?

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way to find the sensors is to open up the parts manual and look for the part you are looking at.

The TM has a diagnosic test for the GP system. It tells you what the readings should be.

camogriz

The coolant temp sensor for the idiot light is located in the front of the driver's side head, right behind the alternator (one wire). The glowplug controller and high idle advance use the coolant sensor located near the rear of the passenger side head, close to the firewall (two wires). The way I checked the sensor for the high idle/ glowplug controller was to disconnect the pink wire at the high idle solenoid on top of the intake manifold. I energized it with a 12 volt jumper wire. The solenoid worked, so I replaced the sensor on the passenger side head. My high idle returned. I then checked my glowplugs and found two not working. Once I replaced them, my hard starting issues were gone. I hope that helps. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks