• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much breather blow-by is too much??

chuck500cc

How much blow-by are you guy's getting from the crankcase breather on your multifuel? Also what is the tube that connects to the metal breather tube that exits near the turbo made out of? I know it was/is supposed to exit down below the frame. Mine is missing.

Chuck XD Fan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are asking what the blowby tube is made of, it is just steel. As for how much vapor come out the tube, it will depend on how hot and how hard you have pushed the engine. Smoke or vapor is normal as are a few drops. If you push all kinds of oil out the tube, as in use a 1/2 gallon of oil in a thousand miles, then there is an issue. I have looked in all the TMs and have found no reference to the correct procedure, orificed or not, from the bb tube or from the dipstick or oil filler with the breather open, or a reference as to what kind of pressure, in hg or in h20. If you find that out, let me know!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as quantity and pressure, I measuerd it in conjunction with the installation of the crankcase breather filter. There is an MVM article on this...
The amount of oil is about 1/10 of a quart every 1,000 miles and the pressure is about 1/50 psi (convert to inches of Hg or water or whatever).

I'll be doing it again when I get to it on the dash 2 engine, nothing mysterious about it, for gauges, look for Magnehelic types on ebay for best price...

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drop tubes from the metal breather tube by the turbo on all of our trucks is just a nylon cord reinforced rubber hose piece, probably oil compatible, about 18" long, pushed over the end of the metal breather tube and retained with a hose clamp.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concerning your question about how much blow-by, all of our engines have what I will call a gentle flow of vapor out of the tubes at idle. I like to do a quick check by putting my thumb over the end of the tube for several seconds. If pressure develops, then there is compression getting past the rings. Water droplets on the end of the tube are normal, a sign the engine is drying out the condensate in the crankcase as it should. Most of the vapor you see is evaporated water. If you see intermittent puffing out of the tube as the engine idles, then suspect a cylinder with ring or gasket problems. We have had tractor engines that had a really noticeable draft out of the vent tube under load that were running fine with no problems worth the cost of an overhaul.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks