• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to clean the MEP004A Engine comp

panzerjunky

How would you fellas clean out the mep400a engine comp as mine is very dusty could you just hose it out and use a brush or would the water damage something The tm says if you hose it out wait 1 hour before you run or the IP can seize so I am guessing it can be cleaned that way if done with care?
Thanks Jerry

Isaac-1

Whenever I wash an engine, I like to have it warm (not hot) before starting to help drive off any trapped water, a foaming degreaser will also help. My family has a cleaning chemical business so I have access to all sorts of industrial cleaning chemicals, for light layers of dirt and grime I like to use Spartan SD-20 in spray cans (also comes in liquid) it is wonderful stuff if you can get it, spray on let soak, wash off (check janitorial supply companies), takes off what you want gone and does not eat through paint, etc. For heavier stuff Spartan BH-38 is good, then there is SNB-130 or SC-200 for the real heavy stuff, but its a lot more agressive.

Ike

PeterD

Whenever I wash an engine, I like to have it warm (not hot) before starting ...

Ike
FWIW, the military strongly recommends having it at ambient temperature, and not running the engine for at least one hour after washing. This is to prevent damage to the injection pump.

Personally, I'd pick a 'dry' day and (carefully, avoiding electronics/electrical stuff) wash it down. I'd angle with the trailer hitch end down (if yours is on a trailer) and water will run that way in the unit. Then as suggested just leave it in the sun with the doors all open, and it should dry in an hour or two. Once reasonably dry, crank 'er up and run for a while more.

PeterD

Simple Green is fine for many tasks, however it is strongly not recommended for aluminum items, and the FAA does not allow it to be used on aircraft. Not recommended for HMMWVs because of their aluminum bodies. The all steel MEP-004A genset should have few problems however.

But, there is an even better thing to use: Dawn dishwashing liquid. Yep, that wonder stuff you steal from your better half (or mom, if you are not yet hitched) works very well, and is actually safer for some materials. Also works well for cleaning grease off your hands... :grd:

panzerjunky

FWIW, the military strongly recommends having it at ambient temperature, and not running the engine for at least one hour after washing. This is to prevent damage to the injection pump.

Personally, I'd pick a 'dry' day and (carefully, avoiding electronics/electrical stuff) wash it down. I'd angle with the trailer hitch end down (if yours is on a trailer) and water will run that way in the unit. Then as suggested just leave it in the sun with the doors all open, and it should dry in an hour or two. Once reasonably dry, crank 'er up and run for a while more.
Hey Fellas thanks for the info.
I did leave it at ambient when I cleaned using a foaming degreaser the first pass and dawn the second with the hitch down all went well as luckily my genset was not to bad to start with but water pooled up at the battery box and the batery hold down frame (lack of a better term) has the only rust on the entire unit from water standing I know this is off thread but would anyone oppose drilling a drain hole?
Thanks Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks