• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to disconnect the CTIS to remove a tire

VF4 Smith

Im changing my bearings today on the 5 ton. Wondering how hard it is or how to disconnect the CTIS to remove tires? Also when I reattach tires can I just crank down on the lugs with lug wrench and breaker bar or is it crucial to torque it to exact torque capacity?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you're talking M939A2

It's probably the easiest part of the job, spray all the nuts and fittings down with WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil, well before hand.

Make sure you wear your safety glasses and ear plugs when disconnecting the air hoses.

Be prepared to replace your wheel valves, as the aluminum threads corrode up and usually gaul really bad when you take them off.

When reassembling remember anti-seize is your friend, smear that ##it on everything, don't stop until you look like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, just don't get it inside of the air system.

I'll leave the torquing of the Lugnuts question to the "read the TM" guys.