• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"How-to" for inspecting bearings/hub/axle?

Geneyus

Is there a YouTube Video or write-up on how to take apart the hub and inspect the bearings? I found one video where the guy already has the hub taken apart. I'm not even sure how to get to that point.

In the picture below, the nuts labeled "A" and "B" that I un-tighten are just spinning freely instead of coming off. Is "C" the same as "A", because it appears to be a little offset from the A pattern. If someone could explain how to get the hub apart and which nuts disconnect which part, I would appreciate it.

I am planning on restoring an M416, but I don't know anything about axles/hubs/brakes/etc. I figured I better start there before the body and paint, so I can pull it around town if I want to.

Hub Front.jpgHub Backside.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS from michigan.
Here is a link to the technical manual for the M416 ;
M416 tm9-2330-251-14 Oct. 1970

Edit. don't take those bolts apart they hold the brake backing plate on .
You need to remove the round cap in the center of the axle in picture #1, it should pry out with a screwdriver ( lightly tap between the hub and cap don't bend it ) it looks like someone siliconed the he11 out of that one . Once you get the cap off there will be a large nut that needs to come off (possibly a special socket needed ).

Bolt "A" looks to be the brake adjusters
Bolt "B" holds the brake backing plate on
Bolt "C" looks to be the brake pivot bolt

Last edited:

Geneyus

Thank you. I was able to get it off, and the grease looks brand new inside (probably due to the silicone seal). I just bought this trailer, and the previous owner may have already replaced the bearings. I'm still going to check them this weekend when I have more daylight. Thanks again.