• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to get an Allen key between the starter ring gear to measure the distance - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 6,2 Diesel

Elektroman99

Dear Steel Soldier Community,

I have a very serious comprehension problem.

In this thread I had discussed a starter motor that was constantly coming loose and we quickly found out that the rear fixation was simply not fitted and the starter motor is only fixed to the two strong bolts directly on the ring gear housing.

In this thread post there was a good video on how to test the distance from starter to ring gear. In the video, an Allen key is inserted between the engine starter flywheel and the starter shaft. In the video without the ‘rest’ of the car (engine) this also works. In my case, however, the starter motor sits in the housing of the starter flywheel (ring gear).

The photo shows my view when I'm lying under the vehicle and looking upwards.

20241004_190835.jpg

How or from where do you get an Allen key in between?
What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
Elektroman99

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to remove the torque converter cover to see the gears. Why do you want to do that check?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Elektroman99

The protection is this metal cover sitting in front of it, right? How many screws are there (in total) and is there anything to consider when dismantling - and later reassembling?

Why I want to do the check... well... the starter motor wobbles when I tighten it. This means that when I tighten the front or rear screw, the starter motor rocks. Now and then the rocking is enough to cause the starter gear to slip.

I'm going to completely dismantle and clean it tomorrow and then wanted to adjust the distance and realised today that this distance measurement is not that easy. So with the mudguard in front of it ‘not at all’ possible. (Damn)

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The protection is this metal cover sitting in front of it, right? How many screws are there (in total) and is there anything to consider when dismantling - and later reassembling?

Why I want to do the check... well... the starter motor wobbles when I tighten it. This means that when I tighten the front or rear screw, the starter motor rocks. Now and then the rocking is enough to cause the starter gear to slip.

I'm going to completely dismantle and clean it tomorrow and then wanted to adjust the distance and realised today that this distance measurement is not that easy. So with the mudguard in front of it ‘not at all’ possible. (Damn)
Yup gotta take that cover off. It's 6 bolts on the outer edges then the ones that hold one the transmission lines. Those lines run right over that cover and have to be bent out of the way or unbolted from the trans to get the cover out. Either way is not easy. Can damage the lines bending them or have a night mare removing them from the trans. So question is...this wobble you want to fix. With the front bracket installed there should be no wobble or much in the starter bolt holes. Did you get a new starter or bolts since you found the front bracket missing? It may have egg shaped the guide holes in the starter. With it bolted in it should not move if it does you have other problems you have to fix before you play with a little clearance on the gears.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Elektroman99

I have new screws here, but I haven't used them yet. I also have the additional bracket here and have realised that the screw on the engine block has only been screwed in.

OK... I now have the problem that when I use the old screws, the starter motor wobbles as described. This means that if I tighten it a millimetre incorrectly, the starter gear slips.

So I'm going to remove the starter tomorrow and clean the engine block and screw. Then tighten it and ‘pray’.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks