• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to go about repairing sheet metal?

chicklin

So, I finally got an M1009 and, of course, there's a bunch of rust. The front inner fender skirts are pretty bad, but they appear to just be a bolt-in deal. The floorboards near the edges are pretty chewed up, as well as near the gun-mounts. The rockers themselves actually look pretty good.

My question is what is the best way to go about repairing this? I'm planning on covering the floor in bedliner when it's done, so it doesn't need to look perfect. Should I buy the replacement patch panels or the cover-up panels (I live right by Classic Parts, LMC and Jim Carter's, which is nice)? Should I just have the body shop guys just bend something up that works since it's going to get covered. What's a reasonable price to have the floors fixed on both sides if I provide them with the patch panels? Thanks!!

Pictures coming tomorrow.....

54reo

Will you be welding it yourself?

Any weld-in panels that will be installed should be butt welded so as not to have a place for water to gather. The lamination of the panels will invariably gather water, and rust out.

chicklin

Re: RE: How to go about repairing sheet metal?

54reo said:
Will you be welding it yourself?

Any weld-in panels that will be installed should be butt welded so as not to have a place for water to gather. The lamination of the panels will invariably gather water, and rust out.
No, I'm going to have a body shop in town do it. That makes sense, though. I'll go the replacement route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks