• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to install Head Gasket on MEP 813-A

HSANDOVAL

My question is, am I suppose to use some type of sealant when installing the head gasket onto the cylinder head such as RTV Silicone. The
TM 9-2815-253-24 isn’t very clear on the instructions on how to do this

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question is, am I suppose to use some type of sealant when installing the head gasket onto the cylinder head such as RTV Silicone. The
TM 9-2815-253-24 isn’t very clear on the instructions on how to do this
No sealant is used on the headgasket. Just make sure all your surfaces and gasket are absolutely clean, then evenly torque the cylinder nuts. I don't like to go directly to the final torque. I usually go to 15 ft/lbs first, then to the final torque (same as the Yanmar manual).

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No sealant is used on the headgasket. Just make sure all your surfaces and gasket are absolutely clean, then evenly torque the cylinder nuts. I don't like to go directly to the final torque. I usually go to 15 ft/lbs first, then to the final torque (same as the Yanmar manual).
Ignore my previous message. I read 831, not 813. Should have looked at the posted TM number.

Guyfang

Staff member
If the TM has not instructions for using some sort of sealing compound, then you do not use sealing compound. Its not confusing. You are reading into it.

Ray70

Correct... Guy, That motor uses a metal gasket, not composite construction. No need for any additional sealers etc.
Not that it is standard practice, but in a pinch I have reused the gaskets on those single cyl. Yanmar's several times with perfect success.... for emergency situations.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks