• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to lubricate windshield wipers

wired1000

My windshield wipers make an awful squeeky noise when they're on. Is there a way to lubricate the linkage? It seems to be hidden behind the firewall somewhere, and I couldn't figure out a way to get to it. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't you just remove the metal cowling between the hood and the windshield? I've never done it on a fullsize chevy but you can do that on the S10's (and I've done that same thing on a few other older vehicles I've had as well).

Once you remove that you can get to the entire linkage.

SPCWarning

Remove your wiper arms, then you have four 5/16"-head screws holding the cowl down. I found it easier to remove the cowl once the screws were out, by closing the hood. Just place rags or towels over the hood to keep it from getting scratched. Then underneath you have a black screen that is held down with two 5/16"-head screws. Be careful removing this screen, as two of the cowl screws go into retainers that are clipped onto the screen. Just don't lose them, they may be loose and dissappear. Once these are removed, lube the pivot points on the wiper linkage with molly grease (it's what I used, spray lube works best if you have the straw). I had to turn the key on, turn on the wipers, and let them get half way and turn off the key to make sure I got all the linkage. Once it's lubed, run the wipers without the cowl to make sure you got the noise surpressed. Put everything back together and you're good to go. I did mine because they were working slowly. Takes less than an hour to do this.
Hope this helps.
Jimmy

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks