• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make new cucv reliable?

realm

What are the parts most likely to go out on a used cucv with 100k miles?

Already done:
Oil change
New fuel filter
Auto trans fluid changed
Undercoated everything
New glow plug relay
New Alt belts

On my to-do list:
Radiator flush
Tcase fluid change
Diff fluid change

What else may likely fail and leave me stranded?
Glowplug card?
Fuel filter base?
Injection pump?

Bobert

I don't know about yours but mine likes to burn up fuses, wires and alternators every once in a while.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

dependable

Hope you changed trans filter when you did the fluid. Other than that, these trucks were fleet maintained, some of the stuff that breaks on them may have already been fixed. I leave mine stock and take it as it goes, They can be very dependable if you use them as they were intended.

Armada

These are the things I do to a cucv that I get and don't know the history of:
Change all fluids and filters. Replace the starter relay under the dash. Replace the glow plug relay. Make sure ALL of your glow plugs work. Test your batteries. Put in a new mechanical lift pump and rod. Replace rubber hoses, especially on the vacuum pump. Steering stabilizer shock is probably still original and not doing a thing, get a new heavy duty one. Inspect or replace vehicle shocks. Inspect all front end components including the axle u-joints and hubs. Have the rear drive shaft balanced and replace u-joints on front and rear shafts. (Many come from GL bent or dented and if they're not, it will still ad life to the joints). Have YOUR starter and alternators rebuilt by a reputable place that specializes in starters and alternators. You will notice a big difference. If an M1009, remove the access panel on the tailgate and clean, lube, and adjust all parts of the window mechanism. Now you have a good baseline and confidence in your CUCV.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Among the many things already listed:

Pitman arm, sway bar bushings.

Hub service

Ensure you have good connections on your windshield wiper motor and maybe even get a spare.

Get the best brake pads available and shy away from cheapies, especially if you plan on hauling or towing a lot of weight.

Those little light adjustment clips were always breaking on me until I finally had each of them replaced.

Oil and transmission cooler lines were always leaking on me until I had them replaced.

Fuel indicator is prone to malfunction

The speedometer cable piece that goes into the bell housing is prone to breaking.

Radiator failure.

This is in addition to what has already been mentioned.

mrcucv

haha i think i agree with johnfire. I think just keep it up on normal maitenence and it should be fine. I havent worked on too amny of the older diesels, but your from tennasee so you have less chance of it rotting out like i do

realm

Well so far adding to my "done" list is:
-replaced underdash relay with HD one
-replaced starter with gear reduction one & bracket
-Fixed slight valve cover leak
-Fixed small radiator crack
-Replaced radiator hoses/clamps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks