• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to mount tarp on M101

svanhorn

When I picked up my M101, I was offered a canvas top for an extra $150, and it was in extremely good condition, so I bought it. Unfortunately it is just a tarp, and not the fitted top. I was wondering if anybody has any information on how to properly attach a tarp over the bows, and fold the corners, so that it will ride correctly.

Also, the tarp had 2 foot chunks of rope tied to several of the grommets. The rope is rotten, and i'm wondering what type to use to replace it with, or should I just use bungee cords.

steelandcanvas

Throw it over the top and square it up on the trailer. You might want to "hospital corner" the corners to take up the extra material. Fold the pockets away from the front so they won't catch the wind. I like to use the rubber bungee cords, they seem to last the longest. Just my 2 cents.

wsucougarx

Got a pic of the tarp? The only thing I can say is think Aerodynamics when you fold the corners in on the tarp. If you allow the tarp to catch air, it's just a matter of time before she will turn into a sail and you'll loose your $150 investment.

Nick

I dont have a tarp on mine, I have the fitted cover, but these pics of my cover may help you to figure out how to do the folds talked about above as "hospital corners"

If you want to see a few more pictures of the cover, click on my photobucket link below, click on M101 trailer folder and go to page 8. THere are a few more angles on there

Hope it helps

Nick

Attachments

svanhorn

Thanks. That actually helps a lot. I need to figure out how to stretch it out all by myself now. It is very thick canvas, and probably around 100 pounds.

Nick

Try to get it up on the bows first and then open it up from there. Thats how I put mine on. Once its open up on the bows its easier to turn and adjust and move around.

Glad those helped

Nick

svanhorn

Ok. I got the tarp on, and it is just a little too short in the rear. Also, it was made by Allen Industries, oct. 1953.

DSC03633.jpgDSC03635.jpgDSC03636.jpgDSC03637.jpg