• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove front hub on M923A2.

VF4 Smith

Ive got my tire off. The big drum that goes around the brake pads and the nut and washers that hold the outer bearing in. Now I cannot seem to remove the hub to get to the inner bearing and race. Any pointers?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So you removed the spline cap and both nuts with the locking ring holding the bearing in?

Just grab the drum, lift up and slide it off. Make sure you dont ding up the threads the nuts go on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Smack it with a hammer. Hopefully you have a BFH. Tap all around it. They can be stubborn sometimes. That or a slide hammer if you have one that big.

VF4 Smith

20161026_141450.jpg20161026_141450.jpg

So the drum came off but the hub is left. I noticed on a video that before lifting the drum off the guy loosing the 4 7/8 inch nut that keeps the outer bearing in before lifting the drum off and then the hub came with it. I too hib off before loosening the nut. Now the hub is loose but cant get it off by hand of course but not sure how to get it off now. Hope the pic helps. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks again for everyones support on here. This site is awesome. Wealth of information. I tried going to the TM's but all I can find in the front hub section is A1 info and not A2.

The A2 uses a different seal than the A1 and it likes to hold the hub onto the spindle. After pulling the spindle nuts and outer bearing out just take a bar between the brake shoe and lip of the hub. a little pry and the hub will pop free. be careful when removing the hub the rest of the way. there are 2 seals inside the hub for the CTIS that can get damaged if not careful. and always apply a little fresh grease to the seal lips of the ctis before putting the hub back on.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Behind the hub nuts is a spiral-type lock ring; find the end and start working it out of its groove all the way around, and it will come off. That will allow the hub to be pulled off. This is something specific to the A2s it seems.

Behind the hub nuts is a spiral-type lock ring; find the end and start working it out of its groove all the way around, and it will come off. That will allow the hub to be pulled off. This is something specific to the A2s it seems.
you only need to remove that lock ring if you are replacing the ctis seals and you do that with the hub off. it has nothing to do with the hub staying on the spindle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks