• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove M1008 Bed

24farragut

Looking to remove my M1008 Bed, so i can access the underside and really get off all the rust, then paint the axle and frame. Is this quick and easy, or not worth the effort? Can it be lifted off easily with two guys? Anyone know what the bed weighs?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really heavy but would probably take 4 guys to lift and walk it off. 8 bolts, unplug lights, disco fuel filler and it should be ready to go. May be a ground strap, don't remember.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8 bolts, bumper can stay on. vent for axle, fuel filter screws, lights. Lift in stages with 4x4s and blocking. Have done quite a few but helps to have a forklift lol Take your time and be safe.

dunedigger

I've done it by myself with a cherry picker. The biggest problem I have run into is the bolts get rusy and if you turn the nut on the bottom the bolt head stips out the sheetmetal in the box floor and then just spins. I've tried different ways of removing them, drilling the head off the bolt and drive it down, cut them from the bottom etc, all seem to be a pain.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for rusted bolts as an alternative to the "hot wrench" I use a 4 inch grinder with the thin cut-off blade, cut the nut at an angle, you can get to all of them one way or another, works like a charm

ralbelt

I removed mine by myself with the aid of a fork lift with 6'extensions. I had to cut one bolt out of 8. Light connections, vent, ground wire Rt rear IIRC, filler screws.. I took it off to do the same as you want to. Replace the rubber fuel lines on top of the tank while you have the box off.

Last edited:

24farragut

replacing fuel lines is a great idea. It is cold as **** in Ct recently, so i might have to wait a few weeks on this. Glad to hear its not too much of a big deal though, thanks.