• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to repair bent Rhino tire carrier pin?

Bowtie70SS

I purchased a Rhino tire carrier for my M998. The pivot pin is slightly bent. I have been searching to see if anyone has successfully straightened one, but have had no luck. I was thinking I could disassemble the tire carrier , clamp the swivel pin in the vise, and heat it with a torch. I plan to find a piece of black iron pipe or tubing that will fit over it so I can try and bend it back. Does anyone know how the pin is held onto the swivel bracket? Is it just a interference fit? Plug welded? I was wondering in case I need to have a new pin made. Thanks

Bravojmc

I purchased a Rhino tire carrier for my M998. The pivot pin is slightly bent. I have been searching to see if anyone has successfully straightened one, but have had no luck. I was thinking I could disassemble the tire carrier , clamp the swivel pin in the vise, and heat it with a torch. I plan to find a piece of black iron pipe or tubing that will fit over it so I can try and bend it back. Does anyone know how the pin is held onto the swivel bracket? Is it just a interference fit? Plug welded? I was wondering in case I need to have a new pin made. Thanks
Get if from beltfed34? If so I almost bought it but, didn't want to deal with the bent pen...
P.s beltfed34 is a great seller tho!

Bowtie70SS

Yes, I bought it from beltfed. I know the piece is available to repair it. I am pretty confident we can straighten the pin. Worst case scenario I will have to buy the swivel pin comma $250 for that one part is more than I wanted to pay but at least it's an option.

Action

The only time i heard of one bending is when someone used the tire carrier to lift the corner of another humvee to change a tire. Way to improvise!

riderdan

The only time i heard of one bending is when someone used the tire carrier to lift the corner of another humvee to change a tire. Way to improvise!
Hey, when you're in the middle of the desert in Iraq, you do what it takes :) Anyway, isn't that the Marine Corps motto: improvise, adapt, overcome?

To answer the question though, without access to some pretty serious machinery, it will be difficult to straighten that pin. Which is why I too passed on it. Possibly you could heat it up with an oxy acetylene torch enough to bend it with a very large hammer, but that's just a guess. One problem will be holding the whole thing while you work on it.

Action

Mount it. Open it up. Lower it on something enough to raise the back of your humvee up. Get in the bed with some fat chicks and jump ip and down.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy out here had over 30 rhino's, and all had various stages of bent pins.
He said the drmo guys picked um up with a crane and dropped them.
The ones they scrap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks