• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to seal a leaky M109 Van

Mark3395

As is so common, my 109 shows signs of water intrusion into the van box and damage to the floor. The manuals don't address repairs to fix these problems and search doesn't find the topic, so here goes.

1. What are the common points of water entry, and how do you solve them?
2. How do you repair the bottom edges of the metal walls, and replace damaged floor?

Is there a Depot procedure of manual that covers this problem, and if so where do we find it? I see nothing in Resources.

I need to get to work on a couple vans but don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

wsucougarx

Points of entry: Any metal to metal joint, windows, just about any hole in the sheet metal. Water does not discrimate:)
Depending on how badly damaged, pitted or cancerous the metal walls are. I'd start w/a wire brush, depending on the rust I'd do a rust converter or use a rust stopping primer. If pitted, I'd probably be using bondo, sheet metal repair or some medium to restore the looks

TACTICAL6

I used some ruberized roof cement to seal some of the holes I had in my roof and other seams that I noticed were taking on water. I also used POR-15 to seal some rusty areas that I could not cut out. So far my leaks have stopped.

papercu

Well first there are no permanent fixes. If you drive the truck viberation will loosen it back up in time.
For repair just think of it as a metal shed, you will need to replace loose rivets and seal all joints. Tear out and replace all rotten wood. The walls are honeycomb and you may not find the correct replacement so just remove it and use foam board. Wayne

ida34

I used RV rubber seam cement to seal up my M146. I sealed all seams and covered all rivets. No problems at all with water now.

m109guy

I patched the holes with sheet metal, clear rv sealant over the sheet metal patches, then covered the roof with a line-x style truck bed coating. It completely sealed all the seams and cracks in the roof. No way for it to leak now. It is also paintable, so when I paint my truck this week, it won't show.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

We had an S250 that got punctured by a camo net pole and we sealed it with silicone. it never leaked.

yes that little light pole left a nice sized hole.

gunboy1656

In sunny CA how would I even know if mine is leaking?

Well put a snorkel on the truck, some scuba gear for you. And go drive in the ocean, but you gotta find someone baked out of their mind.

Have them sit in the bed with an underwater camera, and film where the water comes in at. Make sure they know they gotta be quick. :grin:

Green_gator

Lets see, you remove all the interior sheets, rip out the insulation, rip out the wiring, grind out all the rusty spots, weld new steel, seal the seams, prime the exterior and interior of the outer box....... Oh yeah, do not plan on driving it for a while. :cry: Hope to have mine back on the road in the next weekend or two. It has been a long time.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well put a snorkel on the truck, some scuba gear for you. And go drive in the ocean, but you gotta find someone baked out of their mind.

Have them sit in the bed with an underwater camera, and film where the water comes in at. Make sure they know they gotta be quick. :grin:

I'll give that a try if my EUC ever clears.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks