• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to upload or embed a video (NOT youtube) in a post

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a three problems.

1) Can I upload a video and embed it in a post? I do NOT mean embed a video from YouTube or such, but my own.

2) I uploaded some videos to our own websites in mp4 format and tried to link-embed them in a new post here. Embed does not really work (I cannot make it work) but they appear like a link. They open up in a new window but some are automatically muted? In VLC, they play with sound, but as a webpage, they are muted?

http://czechemigrationmuseum.com/vid/truck-2.mp4

3) I made some video on my new iPhone (never had one before). That is in ***.mov format with big file sizes. I uploaded the smallest of them, popped up in a new window, with sound, but it was very slow in downloading.

IPhone - iPad owners out there, any easy trick how to make them smaller and playable on all sites? (I have premier pro, but Adobe and Apple do not like each other at all).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1) No, the embed function is for flash.

2) See above. (Unsure about your audio issue)

3) It's best to use youtube for videos now day. They simply cause too much resource draw for us. I understand that we are setting up the potential for "link rot". But we do not have unlimited storage.

I likely will be sunsetting the video uploading feature to the site since youtube is so prevalent and works well on mobile and internet browsers.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the audio is a problem of how I converted the video from mov to mp4 using VLC.

So if I have a video on my own website storage or amazon, and use the flv format, it should work? I just don't like youtube, that's all.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The embedded function only triggers with the YouTube domains.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk