• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How would you hook it up to a Mep002A?

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just won a Hubbell SBSB2 50amp spider box!!! Started to price out SO & SJ cable and decided this in the long run was cheaper and had more options. Suggestions on how to come off the Mep002, spider>then to the house or just use the 50amp cable dirrect to inlet outlet w/ interlock. Thanks Bob.
Hubbell Wiring Device-Kellems Product Specifications Product Type Spider II Temporary Power Distribution Units Primary GFCI Protected Receptacles 6 - 20A Straight Blade Receptacles Secondary Receptacle Protection 30A 250V Twist-Lock Receptacle - GFCI Protected Rating 50A, 125/250V AC (max.) Listings/Certifications UL 1640 c-UL and CSA NRTL/C Operation Indoor and outdoor wet and dry locations Enclosure Type 3R, rainproof, suitable for use in damp locations Code Compliance Article 305 of NEC®, ANSI/NFPA 70 (NEC®)/NFPA 70 (NEC®). Moisture Resistance 3R, rainproof, suitable for use in damp locations Operating Temperature 66°C max.; -35°C min. w/o impact Cover Plate Gasket Material UL recognized closed-cell foam (aging and oil resistant)

Attachments

derf

I assume blue is box input and yellow is outputs.
I also assume you have proper transfer switch.
I'd probably install a recep on the gen that fits the cable.
I'd put a recep on my transfer switch that matches the recep on the box(and the other end of the cable).
Then I could use the gen to feed my transfer switch or, if I took the gen elsewhere, I could use the box for power distribution.

In other words:
Home = no box
Anywhere else = use box.

LuckyDog

I won a MEP002A for my house that is off the grid. But it isn't on a trailer.

Since yours is on a trailer, I personally would mount the spider on the trailer with a short piece of cable. Instant distribution center for construction / rally sites. Then use the rest of the cable as an extension cable to connect the trailer to the house (inlet outlet) with all the appropriate safety devices. (manual transfer switch being utmost important)

The cable is then also available to run to other houses/ sites/ equipment. I usually try to get multiple usage out of my equipment. Part of the Backpacker philosophy - If it doesn't have at least two uses, it's useless on the trail.

Just my 2cents

derf

I wouldn't mount to box to the trailer.
You have more flexibility if you let it live on the end of its tether.

LuckyDog

... You have more flexibility if you let it live on the end of its tether.
Agree completely, I just took a much closer look at the pictures.
My first look left me thinking the cable was hard wired to the box.

Last edited:

derf

Yes, but if going from gen to home I'd omit the box.
Set it up to feed:

Gen > fat cable > either house or box.

House has proper transfer switch and panel is distribution.
Box is for situations without hard wired distribution.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but if going from gen to home I'd omit the box.
Set it up to feed:

Gen > fat cable > either house or box.

House has proper transfer switch and panel is distribution.
Box is for situations without hard wired distribution.
I agree. I would use SO cable from the GenSet to the transfer switch on the house. Make sure you have a fourth conductor in the SO cable to run the trailer/genset ground to the house. You don't want to ground the trailer separately.