• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub, Bearing, and Spindle Removal Tools

pinbill

Hello All-

Got the Banks Install and WVO conversion finished and am ready to move on. Up next is repacking the front wheel bearings because the hubs get a little hot and while I am in there checking the brake assembly. I have read the TMs and every related post here and have a few questions.

I saw I am going to need snap ring pliers and a hub wrench, does anyone know what specific hub wrench to use on an 85 M1009?

Should I bother getting into the spindle to replace the spindle bearing?

Is there anything else I should look at while I have it all apart? or any other special tools I will need?

Thanks alot for all help I have had from this site,

Bill

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the hub wrench is the standard 4 prong same as used on civi light duty axels
any parts store should have one for about 20 bucks

2deuce

I personally don't replace anything unless its bad and bad is anything less than perfect as far as bearings go. Repacking is good. Check your brakes. If your rotor is marginal its a good time to resurface or replace and I would do it if you need new pads so you have all new. Also check to see if your lockouts are functioning correctly. Mine were installed so that turning the selector between lock and free did nothing. I got it this way from the military it was locked in all the time. It may have been done on purpose, I don't know.
On repacking don't overfill the hub with grease or you will generate heat. Generally 1/3 full is good.

kapnklug

If you're going to repack the wheel bearings you might as well grease the spindle bearings too. Also there are two seals behind the spindle, an inner and an outer (sometimes called an axle flange seal). These are cheap, might as well replace them, especially if you're driving in the mud. The spindle can be a real pain to get off the knuckle; best way is to lay a 2X4 on top of it and bash the wood with a hammer until you can work a flat screwdriver between the top of the spindle and the knuckle, then do the same from underneath using another screwdriver, then work the screwdrivers back and forth the shimmy the spindle out of the knuckle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks