• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub keeps getting hot ?

seano11

Ok so I went through all my hubs this weekend and replaced seals and repacked bearings one hub still keeps getting hot where the rest our cool to the touch first time I took it back apart I thought it was due to the fact that I forgot to loosen it back off a quarter turn from 50ft-lbs now I have it out again today and it's getting hot once again what temp should these be running at and does anyone have any suggestions on why it would be getting hot ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you replace the seals? If so, are they New Star brand or mil surplus?

Did you replace bearings and races?

Did you loosen it until you can feel play, then snug by finger?

Are you using the lock tab correctly?

seano11

Didn't replace the bearings and races seals are not mil sup there from a company in the states not sure of the name Andy cOx had them sent up to me and as for tightening the nut I just had it at 50 ft-lbs and then backed it off 1/4 turn like the tms say now the lock tab faces out and then you get it in with the lock ring then torque the outter nut to 400 ft-lbs correct ? Correct me if I'm doing anything wrong bud I'll give you a temp reading here in a few min

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We've found that many of the reproduction seals, are just plain lousy. They create heat. Some people have tried to bend them a bit. The rubber is not the same hardness either. That may be your issue.

The lock tab washer has 2 tabs pre bent. They go in, to hold the inner nut. You jamb the outer and bend a couple of the other tabs, to lock the outer nut.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you search "hub seals hot", or "hub temps" or some variants, you should find some threads on this. I know I have posted hub temps before.

Iirc, I have about a 20 degree increase, when all is right with my bearings and seals.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't replace the bearings and races seals are not mil sup there from a company in the states not sure of the name Andy cOx had them sent up to me and as for tightening the nut I just had it at 50 ft-lbs and then backed it off 1/4 turn like the tms say now the lock tab faces out and then you get it in with the lock ring then torque the outter nut to 400 ft-lbs correct ? Correct me if I'm doing anything wrong bud I'll give you a temp reading here in a few min
Well, yes, observation more than correction: please avoid giant run-on sentences... it's not only annoying to read... it is against the rules, also!

And read this post, here , in reference to new replacement seals...

G.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** I phones. :rant:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Canuk phones don't have periods huh? No upper case letters either? Maybe you should buy a phone from the U.S.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought all I phones were made in China.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks