• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huge Turning Circle

engineman2

So, I did something kinda dumb. I hit a tree offroad in muddy conditions. I had the steering almost all of the the way to the right and I hit the tree with the protruding bit of right front tire at about 10 mph. Only the tire itself hit the tree. All seemed fine until I realized I could not turn left more than a 2-3 inches. I stripped the pitman arm. So after a trip to the junkyard and a new arm later I can steer lock to lock both directions. The steering gear and column look/feel fine. And my alignment is still fairly good after taking a few measurements. However, my left hand turning circle is massive, at least twice as wide as to the right...What gives?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pitman arm

I would check the shaft in the steering box , very common to twist that also . When the pitman arm stips it also twists the output shaft in the steering box . The easy fix is another trip to the salvage yard :) bob k

wdbtchr

:ditto:I believe RTK called it. The GM recirculating ball steering mechanism is precise for the highway, but is not that strong in a collision. I've twisted a couple in the civy version of the Blazer.

While you have the box off might as well give the frame a good look for cracks around the bolt holes.

Last edited:

engineman2

I have the Off Road Design brackets to strengthen/triangulate the area where the box is. I failed to mention that while at the junkyard I also got the steering gear and the lower steering shaft from the k20 I found. I disassembled the box, checked the internals and swapped it in today. I also checked for cracks and didn't find any. I still have the same problem. The wheels turn to the steering stops on the knuckles in both directions, whether the front end is raised or sitting on the ground I'm thinking maybe I did something to the suspension, etc. I cannot see while actually turning the truck. Maybe I need an assistant to watch and see if anything other than the tires shift when turning. Jaksof, the pitman arm on these trucks only go on one way. Thanks for the responses guys.

M-1028

The push, pull style steering is well known for doing stuff like this. Let someone steer the truck while you look under the truck. The amount the leaf springs move will blow your mind. I got so tired of trying to fix the steering on my truck, I did crossover and never looked back.

engineman2

You make a good point M-1028. I'd never paid attention until I hit the tree and started looking for problems. For all I know it's been like that all along and I never knew it. I feel it's important to note the truck is on a 4" lift as well.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
pitman arm

sounds like you might have dinged a few more parts in the front end , possiably tweaked the frame , maybe diamonded it a bit . I would do a double check of the rest of the steering components , tie rods , sleeves , center link ,etc , if everything looks"OK" you need to find somebody with a frame machine who also knows how to use it , and I bet you will find the frame tweaked a bit . You would be surprised it does not take much to twist the frame a bit . You could also check it yourself with a ruler and a copy of the frame spec's from the TM's , not hard , just takes time and you need a buddy to hold the other end of the tape . :) RTK

engineman2

Thanks for the tips rtk, if it doesn't downpour tomorrow I'll try to get a buddy and check things out. In another addition, the truck drives fine. I have driven it just putzing around to try to figure this out and have had it to 55 mph, and the only unusual thing about the driving is the poor left hand steering. No shimmy, no shake, no pull left or right, non of that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks