• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer Engine and Transmission in a Humvee?

erasedhammer

Can you put a hummer h1's 6.5td and 4l80e into a humvee? I know that some other components are different between the hummer and humvee, like the transfer case, but would a hummers engine and tranny bolt right into a humvee? I already have the 242 tc

Wire Fox

I'm not an expert in this yet, but I know it well enough to know the hummer engine will have all 12v components and the humvee 24v components. It'd be an annoying expense to replace all the electrical components.

But I do want to know what that difference might be for the transfer case. I was about to go buy a 242 that's being pulled from sn H1. I haven't bought it yet, so hearing my risk would be appreciated.

erasedhammer

I'm not an expert in this yet, but I know it well enough to know the hummer engine will have all 12v components and the humvee 24v components. It'd be an annoying expense to replace all the electrical components.

But I do want to know what that difference might be for the transfer case. I was about to go buy a 242 that's being pulled from sn H1. I haven't bought it yet, so hearing my risk would be appreciated.
Well for the engine I have the dual voltage regulator so replacing the components I shouldnt need to do.

As for the tc, All I know is that the civi one has the cooling loop only around one part of the transfer case, versus the military which surrounds the whole thing. I believe the bolting pattern is the same though.

dilvoy

The engine, trans and transfer will work just fine. The transfer case should be the NP242 which will be the same as what is in the Humvees with that transfer case, except that the tail shaft extension is different, because the Hummer didn't use the speedo gear and cable like the Humvee did. It has a sensor so the housing needs to be changed out and the gear placed on the shaft so the speedo gear has something to be turned by. The trans is the easiest part. No modifications needed. The engine will fit except for the starter, injector pump, turbo boost controller, injector lines, water pump, fan and clutch, power steering pump, fuel lift pump and it's oprating shaft as well as the plate it mounts through. and all of the brackets on the front of the engine for the mil generator and power steering. Wire harness for the engine ofcourse as well as all sensors, plus the water crossover and any other civi crap like the CDR Valve and little things like that.

erasedhammer

The engine, trans and transfer will work just fine. The transfer case should be the NP242 which will be the same as what is in the Humvees with that transfer case, except that the tail shaft extension is different, because the Hummer didn't use the speedo gear and cable like the Humvee did. It has a sensor so the housing needs to be changed out and the gear placed on the shaft so the speedo gear has something to be turned by. The trans is the easiest part. No modifications needed. The engine will fit except for the starter, injector pump, turbo boost controller, injector lines, water pump, fan and clutch, power steering pump, fuel lift pump and it's oprating shaft as well as the plate it mounts through. and all of the brackets on the front of the engine for the mil generator and power steering. Wire harness for the engine ofcourse as well as all sensors, plus the water crossover and any other civi crap like the CDR Valve and little things like that.
Luckily I already have the 242.

So what you're saying is that the big list of stuff you said won't fit?
I assume that the military version of those items can simply go in place of their civil counterparts?
What I'm hearing is that all that will get installed is just the engine and none of the other systems.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily I already have the 242.

So what you're saying is that the big list of stuff you said won't fit?
I assume that the military version of those items can simply go in place of their civil counterparts?
What I'm hearing is that all that will get installed is just the engine and none of the other systems.

Its called a long block....but why bother? There are plenty of Turbo take out packages on the market you can just drop right in.

erasedhammer

Its called a long block....but why bother? There are plenty of Turbo take out packages on the market you can just drop right in.
Well I am getting a package deal. I get both a 4l80 and a 6.5 turbo for the price of the transmission alone. So I'd like to make some use of the engine as I currently have a 6.2 in my humvee. How much are the turbo take outs? I'm low on money so extra purchases do not work for me.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is that upgrade from 6.2L to 6.5 (turbo or normally aspirated) also involves a different control box and a few other electronic measures. But if I was being gifted one, I'd find a way to use it too!

Bulldogger