• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HUMVEE Replacement

JeepMan

Our paper this AM says that the Pentagon is supposed to vote soon on the vehicle to replace the HUMVEE. It's supposed to be a lightweight vehicle that will do all and protect the occupants from mine blasts. It will be quite awhile before it's fielded.

jwaller

just remember how long it took the gooberment to replace the deuce and take them all out of circulation... I dont think the hmmwv's are going anywhere anytime soon.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the M715 series, the M880 series and CUCV series were "interim" fields until a suitable replacement for the M37 and M151 were found, at least that is one opinion I have heard before in print. The HMMWV was supposed to replace most of them, except in a non-tactical role where the CUCV would continue until replaced (by the CUCV II, which never really took off except for a few bought by Uncle Sam). By 2010, the HMMWV will be near the 30-year deployment life span for a vehicle platform, and due for a change.

Also, I remember that only a handful of the replacements for the HMMWV would be mine-resistant vehicles (mainly due to the fact that mine-resistant vehicles are very expensive to produce, repair, and operate. Plus, you don't need a heavy armored truck driving around CONUS bases burning twice as much fuel as normal vehicles, just to pick up "groceries"). I believe something similar to the unarmored HMMWV will make up the bulk of the replacement force.

Westech

CPL
and the full up armor Humvee sucks! ever try to move 13k pounds with a 6.5? its feels like driving a dump truck with a 4 cylinder engine and it about to roll over in every turn. I will be glad to get rid of them. Now on base in a soft skin? F yeah there a blast! fast and you can slide around in them. I think the humvee is been turned in to something it should not have been. too much crap on that platform.

Tanner

Westech said:
and the full up armor Humvee sucks! ever try to move 13k pounds with a 6.5? its feels like driving a dump truck with a 4 cylinder engine and it about to roll over in every turn. I will be glad to get rid of them. Now on base in a soft skin? F yeah there a blast! fast and you can slide around in them. I think the humvee is been turned in to something it should not have been. too much crap on that platform.
Agreed that the HUMVEE is being asked to do jobs that it was not designed to do - but isn't it better to give a warfighter some protection rather than none at all?

"Tanner"

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have several ideas that I am waiting to see if the Army retains me other wise I am going to Stuart Stevenson, Oshkosh or Mack with them because I think it is the answer we need for mine and SAF resistance, transportablity and cost. Once I get a deal I will share it with you. Yup the UAH is a pig with all the kits on it. That is why they are only putting 6.5 TD's in them but I would rather be in one in Iraq and Afghanistan than a soft skin sorry been there and done that a few times and we should keep them till the WOT is over. I may have to up armor my fleet living so close to Baltimore

JeepMan

They showed the prototype on the news last night. I can tell you it's not going to be a "light tacticle" vehicle. (Such as the M151A1/2 was). The front looks like an varient of the Oshkosh trucks and from the windshield back it looks like a square Hummer.
Course the actual vehicle may be different.

emr

The hummer in my point of view is doing just fine, no vehicle can do it all, and any vehicle in our inventory has to do more than one would seem right, its just needed so its done, i know more than a few guys who have survived a blast in a hummv and swear by them ,of course there is always a bigger blast somewhere, but they have risen to the cause i have seen, is there something better in the future of course i hope so, i used to hate them, but ive spent some time in them not a super amount, but i borrowed one for a month and a half and drove it daily, spent quit a bit of time in them around here lately also, they are what they are, a vehicle that was meant to be alot from the start , actually they were designed to be and have alot of varients ,so its hard to say they were not meant for all the upgrades, i think one could argue they were, but like all vehicles they needed structural work as the upgrades became heavy, that just seams normal to me.??its just part of the upgrade, as for the motor, i do not belive they chose the right power plant to start with, but its whats there and it moves them, still a very cool and capable vehicle...Randy