• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Cooling fan motor question

Kiteboarderken

I have searched for information and found a few older posts but it doesn't have the information I am looking for. I apologize if there are other threads covering this topic. I don't have access to my SEE to check this stuff out and I would like to have parts compiled before I return to my cabin. One of the fans for the hydraulic cooler is frozen up so I was looking to replace it but I cannot find: NSN 6105-01-256-4607 and P/N 3631 is there a source for these motors? I know some people have replaced them with SPAL units, can anyone provide me with a model they have successfully used? Did you use a 24v or 12v? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Pinsandpitons

It's possible to repair them. I just did as luck would have it. The motor had water intrusion and the rust seized it. No electrical damage so I disassembled and cleaned, repainted the insides, replaced the bearings just because I could (easy cause of an electric motor shop locally but they are very common bearings) and it's working great now. There are rivets holding the halves together, a roll pin through the shaft for the fan itself, (it was a little tough getting the fan off the shaft, had to soak it in bolt-breaker) that needs to come out to replace the bearing on that end. There are plastic cups for the bearings on both ends. Mark the wires and double check that the fan spins in the right direction when done, but pretty easy and way cheaper then a new motor, about $25 for the bearings. With a drill, a vice, hammer/punch, patience and some pop rivets, no replacement needed. Test the coils but I bet they're fine.