• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic deuce winch

GUNGIY

I had an idea, how about cutting the drive shaft and installing a Hydraulic pump and motor with a valve in the cab and one by the winch?:idea::-D:?:

mudguppy

why is there no point? :roll:

how about infinite speed and direction control? not to mention it'd be exponentially safer for a single operator recovery.

GUNGIY, i agree and have been looking into the same thing. when my deuce arrives, it will be on my project list.

chicklin

why is there no point? :roll:

how about infinite speed and direction control? not to mention it'd be exponentially safer for a single operator recovery.

GUNGIY, i agree and have been looking into the same thing. when my deuce arrives, it will be on my project list.

I don't know, I just didn't think of it like that. If I had a working stock winch, I'd probably leave it alone. You'd be adding a lot more components to worry about to gain, in my opinion, very little. The stock winch is plenty safe if you know what you're doing. Any winch is unsafe if you don't. As far as speed, it just isn't that big a deal to me, I guess. If I get stuck, I want to get out, it doesn't need to be fast. Then again, I'm not the rock-crawling or mud-running type, so I probably wouldn't need it that often, anyway.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. It's your truck and it'd be cool to see your setup. I'm just saying I don't personally see a need for it on a stock winch.

Hammer

If you are going to use it a LOT, I think it would be worth the swap.
Hydro, when done properly, will be a lot more reliable. No more shear pins ;)
No REAL shock loading with the fluid coupling. Yes, you can still have the line yank and jerk around, but it doesn't do nearly the same thing with the fluid coupling compared to a drive shaft.
Plus, the line speed control.
If you only use the winch to get out of mud once in a while, fine.
But if you are going to use it a lot. And if you want any real control over it, the hydraulic is THE way to go!

Btw, I have ran both, and hydraulic wins hands down (I typically use a winch at LEAST once a day). Not even a remote question in my book.
But, the real question is, is it worth it FOR YOU.
I doubt I would bother on a deuce. But that is me. I would leave the stock setup as is, and practice with it BEFORE getting stuck. Learn what it can and will do in a safe environment.
If you are going to use it all the time, switch!
And don't forget to run a LARGE tank for the fluid. More fluid is better for cooling, just costs more ;)
They are easy to setup really. Mount everything in a secure and safe place, secure all the hydralic lines. And run a filter on the system.

yeager1

If you are working with your winch (ie-non self recovery) like lifting off an a-frame or pulling logs, or whatever, the super slow infinate speed control WITH full torque is really nice, plus you can run a wireless remote control. Hydraulic is 100% better if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Plus you could then use it for a dump body if so desired.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a guy that posted awhile back that was wanting to get rid of a hyd motor off a M35A3 winch (same as M35A2 but uses a hyd motor to run the winch) I'll see if I can find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks