• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic head issues...

durney

OK so it looks like I have the dreaded Hyd. head problem as I have no movement in the center piston.

Heres the question, after doing a search I found a posting about rebuilding it but it was inconclusive. Whats the consensus?

And if not, can someone point me in the direction of a good used one (too much $$$ for the Ebay new one).

thanks.

Josh

I bought a new one off of Floridianson. Have yet to install yet, but it was a NIB. I'd pm him. He was the cheapest for a new one I could find and was a pleasure doing business with.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are considering a new one, start the procedure to remove the old one first. One step at a time, take off the fuel lines to the injectors get familiar with the territory and soon enough you'll know what the problem really is, the plunger may be stuck in the up-position and a light tap can get it loose again...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would take it off and apart. Sometimes the 3- finger clip that holds the button on the bottom breaks or comes off. That is a $12 part.

6x6junkie

hey crane truck on your quote the plunger may be stuck in the up-position and a light tap can get it loose again where and how do you hit that? have tryed threw the feuel shut off opening with a screwdriver ands its stuck bad just wondering where you wack it

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hey crane truck on your quote the plunger may be stuck in the up-position and a light tap can get it loose again where and how do you hit that? have tryed threw the feuel shut off opening with a screwdriver ands its stuck bad just wondering where you wack it
Not the best picture, but remove the plunger screw/plug at the center of the hydraulic head and using a wooden dowel tap the plunger. The plunger rides on a cam that is in its top position 3 times per engine rev, so you may want to turn the engine over between attempts. Movement is about 1/4 inch.
You are dealing with a precision mechanical device, so make sure everything is clean and know what you are trying to do before acting. See TM 9-2910-226-35 for info.

Attachments

durney

Just a heads up I had let it soak in Kroil then PB then CLP and finally got it to drop with a pretty good hit on a brass dowel. Then it would popback up when turning the engine and had to again force it down. So at that point I knew it was going to come apart but I really wanted to see first if someone had a lead on a GOOD used one before I tore into it.

In other words based on the amount of effort to move it I dont think rebuilding may be an option but I will evaluate it anyway.

The strange thing is the engine looks to be a new (not rebuilt) unit when the truck was completely overhauled in 1995. But I had let it just sit for the last 2 years (in a heated shop).

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats 17yrs, not really a short time span. I have seen the button falling off the bottom cause what you describe.

Last edited:

durney

Agreed, and I have owned it for 10 of those last 17 and it basically sits.

Although I make sure every time its run it get fuel lube added but sitting is likely its worst enemy.

ratat98

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone point me to a post about the hydraulic head issue? I've never heard of this and would like to learn more!
Thanks!
-Rat