• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydroplane Warning - Houston Fire Dept. 5-Ton

m715mike

“A Houston Fire Department High Water Rescue Vehicle moving to a Kingwood Fire Station in anticipation of the coming heavy rains hydroplaned and hit the concrete wall on I-69 northbound at Kingwood. The freeway is currently closed northbound.”

There was no mention of the people involved. I pray everyone is ok. This is a chilling reminder of the danger from hydroplaning.

C48E6904-294C-4CFE-ADE5-F254E253FD76.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
“A Houston Fire Department High Water Rescue Vehicle moving to a Kingwood Fire Station in anticipation of the coming heavy rains hydroplaned and hit the concrete wall on I-69 northbound at Kingwood. The freeway is currently closed northbound.”

There was no mention of the people involved. I pray everyone is ok. This is a chilling reminder of the danger from hydroplaning.

View attachment 822171
Wow! That truck took a HARD hit to knock out the front axle... Sure hope the driver (and passenger if there was one) weren't injured. Thankfully it looks like just that one vehicle was involved... And you can see the grooves in the concrete - designed to keep that from happening too!

m715mike

The rain came down hard and fast this evening. I drove home about that time on a different highway a little to the west of where this crash occurred. I slowed down to 35 mph and still had very poor visibility in my SUV. There were multiple places with standing water on the road. The water couldn’t run off fast enough.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The rain came down hard and fast this evening. I drove home about that time on a different highway a little to the west of where this crash occurred. I slowed down to 35 mph and still had very poor visibility in my SUV. There were multiple places with standing water on the road. The water couldn’t run off fast enough.
Supposedly that rain is headed on over to the east coast. Starting tomorrow and solid rain all day. The "nit-wits" around here have a hard enough time driving on dry streets - so we should end up with several hundred wrecks in that two day span. Go figure.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hydroplane ANY tires 12312020.docx

I saved this from 2005, one of my studies……………….
There is only about 20 to 30 square inches of tire on the road at any one time.

It was NASA scientists who discovered that the speed at which dynamic hydroplaning occurs is directly related to tire pressure. In general, tires can hydroplane at any speed that is roughly equal to or greater than nine times the square root of the tire pressure. A light aircraft with tires inflated to 30 pounds per square inch could thus hydroplane at 49 knots or above. A jet with 175-psi tires could hydroplane at 119 knots or higher. It's worth noting that for every two to three pounds of tire under-inflation, your aircraft's minimum hydroplaning speed will decrease about 1 knot.

Tire-tread depth and design greatly affects the likelihood of hydroplaning too. Research has shown that as little as one-tenth of an inch of standing water is all that's needed for dynamic
hydroplaning to occur. The deeper a tire's tread, though, the more easily it will whisk water away and the less likely it is to hydroplane. For a tire with good tread depth, higher groundspeeds and deeper water depth are required to hydroplane, compared with one worn smooth. Once 80 percent or more of a tire's tread depth has worn away, you can expect its propensity to hydroplane to increase markedly.

One is to monitor the actions of any system in automatic at all times. What is George doing?
This note is about people that got their license at Pep Boys and shouldn't be allowed to drive anytime. Maybe someone should tell the Lady in the story that her car did not literally fly thru the air. Tire pressure has more to do with hydroplaning then cruise controls do.

Maybe some of you have already seen this but it is a FIRST for me.
Subject: FW: "CRUISE CONTROL WARNING"
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:33:22 -0500
Subject: Fw: "Hydroplaning" Advice from the Highway Patrol

A 36-year-old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore, Texas, she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessive, when her car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air.
She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know: NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON.

She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.
But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydroplane -- when your tires lose contact with the pavement your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was
exactly what had occurred. We all know you have little or no control over a car when it begins to hydroplane. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually traveling through the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the cruise control.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed-but we don't tell them to use the cruise control only when the pavement is dry. The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries. If You send this to 15 people and only one
of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.

tobyS

Is it still called hydroplaning if it's 18" of water...or even 3-5"?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is it still called hydroplaning if it's 18" of water...or even 3-5"?
" Is it still called hydroplaning if it's 18" of water...or even 3-5"? " Yes.
Methinks whenever tire is not in full contact with road it is hydroying

This is why once I had a car, regular car, Dodge Caliber, with intelligent AWD That I really liked. I put it thru a hurricane all the way up the coast 1000 miles hitting huge water on the road places. With cars and trucks there are many different weights of vehicle, tires, systems, center of gravity, tires, and such but when the rubber leaves the road it is hydroplaning.

Last edited:

BEASTMASTER

probably some young kid that does'nt have a clue how to drive a truck that wieighs 22,000 lds. these guys don't even need a cdl to drive a fire truck what's wrong with this picture ??

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a similiar exp going down the autobahn outside Sembach. Light rain, towing a M1022, thankfully it was at night and there was nobody on the road, 2 complete revolutions..took out a fiber KM post and came to rest on the sholder...How that mobilizer and shelter didnt roll over is beyond my underrstanding. I seem to remember shortly after that they restricted super singles from towing

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
probably some young kid that does'nt have a clue how to drive a truck that wieighs 22,000 lds. these guys don't even need a cdl to drive a fire truck what's wrong with this picture ??
Military tires suck on wet concrete. And I'm betting that they just assumed that they didn't need to train on driving that specific truck.

dmetalmiki

A case of anticipate the conditions and performance of your vehicle.
(As, ( always I say, )), To new members coming in to our gang, The ONLY way to get out of trouble, Is NOT to get into it, (trouble), in the first place!.
Like, When towing, ( With ex-military ), H.G.V.'s., Go down hills at the speed you would go up them....and other tips...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks