• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydrostatic lock part 2

MATT

Today I inspected a duce(wildland fire truck) and the department left the switch on and when I got to it the batteries were drained all the way down. Now I remembered the eariler discussion about hyrdo lock. I was nervous to crank the engine, I took the intake tube off from the turbo to the intake manifold to check for fuel, none. I cranked it over with the engine stop pulled and it sounded ok so I cranked and it started right up. Now i have a hard time believeing the hydro lock senario. For the fuel to enter the combustion chamber it would have to pass through the IP, the fuel pressure would have to be high!!!! to open the injectors. Maybe I got lucky?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the flame heater nozzle would only happen if the check valves within it are leaking. If not, no problem in that department, at least.

houdel

Fuel leak into the cylinders via the fuel injection system? Highly unlikely. Fuel leak into the cylinders via the manifold heater system? Possible, if the flame heater system is leaking, as Bjorn noted.

The more common cause of hydrostatic lock is coolant leaking into the cylinders. The early head gaskets were prone to leakage and hyro lock was a somewhat common problem then. The newer gaskets are better (there has been at least two "improvements" to the the head gaskets) but still not perfect. The head bolts DO need to be periodically retorqued (don't know the specified interval, but the process is covered in the TMs). As the head bolts stretch and loose tension, the clamping load of the heads on the gaskets decreases and no gasket will seal if the clamping load is not adequate.

Some head gaskets have "weep" channels extending from the fire rings to the outer edges of the head to allow any leaking coolant to drain to the outside of the head. A slight amount of coolant weeping around the outside of the heads at the head-block deck junction is not a defect, it is there by design.

Moral of this story: Make sure your head bolts are properly torqued and perform a hydrostatic lock check before starting your multifuel. It only takes a couple of seconds and may save your engine from some very expensive damage!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks