• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am wanting to buy my first Humvee I guess from gov planet!

FreddyG1986

I live in AZ but see alot of for sale in CA on gov planet. But most come with a SF 97 off road only! What can I do to get the title to say street legal, or should I buy from another state. Other than CA, I was trying to save on shipping cost. Plus wanted to go pick up in person. I tried looking up info from az DMV, but couldn't really find anything. And on Facebook I am getting conflicting information , some yes and others say no AZ doesn't allow for them to be on the road. But yet when I look for them on Craigslist for sale and ask about the title they say its street legal and one guy just got his done last year here in AZ 2019. So? Any one pls help me before I buy one from gov planet thanks

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
This has been discussed MANY times. If you want to guarantee a on-road title AND not take chances with waiting a VERY long time for EUC and SF97 to be complete, you'll be money ahead to buy one in a private sale (or a couple of companies that do the work to make them right after getting them from auction).

If you're ok with hoping the description is correct and *maybe* getting a title for it without jumping through hoops, then gov planet is for you. If not and you want a HMMWV to tinker with and drive, buy from someone that has one titled and ready to go.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
HMMWV is ALL about the waiting, wrangling, wrestling, weaseling, working on or out problems with no warranty.

Could be something to worry about. Turn those "W's" over and spell out Money.

Totally workable. All for the fun of it, CAMO

papakb

My advice to you would be to ride over to Barstow and look at the truck your interested in before bidding. The folks at Yermo will be happy to talk to you and let you know what they found when they inspected it. They generally do a visual inspection first and if it's missing parts it goes into the $4k or less category. If it looks complete they'll hook their battery cart to it and if it starts it goes into the $4.8K category. A compete, nice looking runner goes into the $6K + category. When inspecting forget the paint job and focus on completeness, and what if any expensive parts it needs. Everything for the HMMWV is increasing in cost as their popularity increases. The advantage you have is there are more and more knowledgeable people out there that can help you like RWH but I've seen too much bad information on You Tube to last a lifetime, so beware. Download the manuals. And read them! At the very minumum TM 9- 2320-280-10. This is the operators manual and lists the basic stuff you need to know about the HMMWV. It shows capacities and configurations. They're free and you can inspect with a better understanding of what your looking at when you go.

As far as an Arizona title, get in touch with your local military vehicle club and talk to their HMMWV owners and listen to their DMV stories. Posting on Facebook will get you responses from all over the country most of which won't be of any help in Arizona. Do you reall give a hoot about the NY DMV? Go local.

Keep in mind that as a new buyer you will have to wait for the dreaded End Use Certificate to clear and that can take anywhere from 4 to 8 months so this is going to turn into a spring or summer 2021 project for you.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best of luck either way. Don't forget that if you buy from GP there are auction fee percentages and sales taxes on top of the winning bid, which add up to significant $$ fast for a vehicle you can't drive off the lot (since most Govt depots don't allow it, even for runners).
I second Retired War Horses' advice, buy from a private party. They're all over FaceBook and appear here routinely too.
If it's a well-maintained, updated and driven rig, you'll find a private party purchase costs less to get it and keep it on the road.

BDGR

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
All GOOD advice. Research, read, review... Think it thru and good luck.

My two cents is HMMWV is like a boat... One has to love the water and owning all things that go with the boat.

HMMWV going to have to love working on all things HMMWV and owning the road, CAMO

I want to type in red TOO papakb.

Crapgame

I'd recommend only buying if you can inspect yourself beforehand. The M1097A1 I bought, GP shot photos from certain angles to hide damage to the RH wheelhouse. They are just a government-contracted used car salesmen, an even worse form of used car salesmen.

country

Supporting Vendor
We have over 50 hmmwv's in stock and they almost all come with good Pennsylvania titles

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks