• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a Deuce in Eastover, SC

jharshman

Ok, so it appears I have jumped in.... I bought a deuce in Eastover from gov liquidation. it's my first. Looks great in the photos, but "unknown" running condition. Site manager Tim has no further info for me.

2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation

I'd love to just go down and drive it home (to near pittsburgh, pa) but i have no idea if it even runs! So i guess i have two requests for some help: Will anybody be in Eastover that could check it out for me and comment on its "driveability"? And is there anyone out there that may want to give me a price on transport up to PA? I put a listing on Uship.com...

Cost to Ship - AM General 1970 M35A2 Cargo Truck - from Eastover to Washington

My EUC is in Battle Creek and i suppose it's going to be another month until it gets approved. So i have some time to figure this out.... Helpful comments are appreciated! I'm excited to get my truck!

by the way, I'm loving steelsoldiers!! This site is really great!

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it is driveable, that is a long haul for a truck that's been sitting idle for months and you don't have a history with. Better plan on having it hauled till you can check everything out.

jharshman

Ah, the voice of reason. I suppose that's probably good advice. But it's only about 530 miles - what's the worst that could happen? Besides no brakes on 13,000 pounds in the hills of West Virginia.......

flyusn99

Deuce Inspection

A both a buddy of mine and I just won Deuces in Eastover as well. I'm hoping my/our EUCs will only take two weeks to clear like the last few have. We're planning on heading up there to get ours as soon as our PIF invoices come in so if nobody else rogers up and volunteers, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you. Just let me know one way or the other.

James

jharshman

That would be awesome! They say since this is my first EUC it could take a while... I'm guessing I might not be able to pick my truck up until October. Have you bought anything out of this site before?

- Jamie

two.fiveM35

Eastover had some good prices. I would ship it... The cost of shipping is far better than the cost and pain if you broke down. Mine sat parked for 2 years and was only driven 100 miles in the 5 years before I rescued it. 50 mph makes for a long trip. You got a great price on the truck, you can afford to have it shipped. Good luck.

Chief_919

Ah, the voice of reason. I suppose that's probably good advice. But it's only about 530 miles - what's the worst that could happen? Besides no brakes on 13,000 pounds in the hills of West Virginia.......
No brakes, leaving you to run into and kill somebody.

Front hub comes apart bebcause it wasn't properly reassembled last service, sending 300+ pounds of tire, wheel, hub and brake drum going rolling into oncoming traffic at 50mph

Rear brake locks up, causing a fire.

Rear axle locks up, causing intermediat axle to lock up, causing truck to suddenly stop and be rear ended by a semi.

All things I have seen on in service, in use trucks with current maintenance. You are picking up a surplused truck that has seen no maintenace for many months.... that you don't have a clue about the history or real condition of.

jharshman

Well fine, if you want to be pessimistic about it (or maybe realistic). I sure hope the hubs don't come off that easy though! I had my brakes overheat on a truck once - not fun, especially when the fluid boiled and i lost them all. Thank God for a good e-brake. I've just been weighing $1,200 for shipping verses $200 in fuel, $7 in Excedrin, and $20 copay for the Chiropractor. But you're right, ideally a thorough review of the drive-train and stop-train before a trip like that would be important. I do really appreciate your specific details on things that have happened on these trucks though!

Chief_919

Well fine, if you want to be pessimistic about it (or maybe realistic). I sure hope the hubs don't come off that easy though! I had my brakes overheat on a truck once - not fun, especially when the fluid boiled and i lost them all. Thank God for a good e-brake. I've just been weighing $1,200 for shipping verses $200 in fuel, $7 in Excedrin, and $20 copay for the Chiropractor. But you're right, ideally a thorough review of the drive-train and stop-train before a trip like that would be important. I do really appreciate your specific details on things that have happened on these trucks though!
If you really want to drive it, contact Ferroequinoigist on here. He is local, and will tow it to his place and give it a good going over for you before you come to get it, for a very reasonable price.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I can go pick it up and can keep it here for a week or two in NC if you wanted to cover it. The guys that are talking about having it hauled know what they are talking about. I drove back from PA about 8 months ago in a Antique Mack , thats a very long haul in somthing that you dont know the history of. But I can check it all over for you and get it out of there if Adam doesnt beat me to the punch . Jay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks