• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I created a problem!

Warren Lovell

In the process of changing my instrument lights to leds, I had changed all the bulbs, the instrument bezel was out and as the truck was running, the instrument bezel slipped and the back of the ammeter touched the shifter. A spark resulted and now the ammeter doesn't work...and the left generator light stays on.

Question: Did I just damage the ammeter? or did I damage the ammeter and the alternator?

The fuses all check ok.

HeLp!

Keith_J

Check the ammeter by disconnecting one lead (disconnect both batteries first). It should have very low resistance.

You could have lost some diodes in an alternator.

ida34

Check the fuse under the dash. There is a fuse for the volt meter. It is a volt meter unless someone changed it. There is also a relay under the dash that switches the voltmeter on and off with the ignition switch. Check the voltage at each battery individually and see what you get with it running. If it is around the 14 volt range it should be charging. If either one is down to around 12.5 volts then that battery is not being charged by that certain alternator. This all assumes you do not have an ambulance cucv with a 28 volt alternator. Remember, there are a few different cucvs remember to put your model down when you ask stuff so we can help you properly without assuming. I would say you either fried the alt internally or fried a fusable link. Bust out the -20 and -30 for the electrical troubleshooting sections to help nail it down. They also have great schematics.