• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I found a half a Banks Turbo kit for my 6.2!

superburban

I found a Banks turbo on a junkyard 6.2. There is a little bit of shaft play, nothing too bad. The problem is that someone has swiped all of the intake ducting. Banks air filter housing, gone. Air filter to turbo tube, gone. Turbo to intake tube, gone.

Is there any way to (cheaply) build a home-made duct system so that I can use this?

CCATLETT1984

well, the banks kit enters the engine on the same side of the engine as the 6.5 does, so you can get a intake hat from a 6.5TD, then just make up 2" tubing to connect the turbo to the intake, I have a ton off pics of the parts, and of my install on my photobucket album.
its in my signature.

CCATLETT1984

forgot to add, to install the banks kit, you WILL have to install a aux oil cooler, the lines are directly in the way of the inlet, I have the banks air box( didn't use it for my install) that i would let go. does the kit have the banks passenger side manifold? crossover pipe? downpipe?

superburban

Re: RE: I found a half a Banks Turbo kit for my 6.2!

CCATLETT1984 said:
forgot to add, to install the banks kit, you WILL have to install a aux oil cooler, the lines are directly in the way of the inlet, I have the banks air box( didn't use it for my install) that i would let go. does the kit have the banks passenger side manifold? crossover pipe? downpipe?
It has the pass manifold, the downpipe and the crossover. I would totally love to buy the airbox off you. How much scratch do you require?

What do you mean in the part of your post where you say "the lines are directly in the way of the inlet"?

superburban

RE: Re: RE: I found a half a Banks Turbo kit for my 6.2!

PS: How have those wheel spacers treated you? I have been afraid to try those, for all of the horror stories around here.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: I found a half a Banks Turbo kit for my 6.2!

I love them, been on the truck for over a year, no issues, you just have to re torque them after the first 100,500,1000 miles. then they are fine.

I'll send a PM on the airbox.

and re the oil cooler lines, its best shown with a picture (need to take some now that its installed)
the air inlet on the front of the turbo is too close to the radiator to use the stock plumbing of the lines and be able to fit the rubber elbow for the air inlet from the filter box.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your cooler lines must be different than mine. Mine have plenty of clearence between the elbow and the cooler lines. At least 2 inches. As far as the turbo goes. If it has the blue tag on the bearing housing the clearence or end play to u can feel should be .015" Any more then .017 and you'll need to overhaul it.

CCATLETT1984

ken, could you snap a picture of how your lines are, I'd like to see that.

If i had pulled the factory lines and rebent hard line, I might have been able to make it work, but would have been in the way of the engine fan.

I ended up going with dual electric fans @2600cfm ea.
I have no cooling problems at all, although I have a brand new aluminium radiator and a big aux oil cooler with a fan on it. Never got hot even going up the mountains going to GA.

superburban

I just checked out an ATS turbo on a 6.2 today. I think I like their plumbing routing better than Banks', but I cant beat the price of the banks, so I'm gonna buy it.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll snap some pics if the setup this weekend when i go down there. The biggest problem i had with the install was the fit and finish of the parts. Banks didn't deburr anything.

superburban

I bought the turbo last night! The turbo, pass exhaust manifold, downpipe, and crossover all cost me 75$ TOTAL! That's right! Just 75$! Now all I need is to get the airbox from you, CCATLETT1984, and buy a 6.5TD intake. (Then I'll have to have an exhaust shop bend up some pipe for me.