• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have the itch for the five ton

Xxtankmasterx

First off, I would like to say that I am a brand new member and I would like to thank you guys for how awesome this community is. I am strongly considering getting my first 5 ton. Where I live, you can classify the M92_ series as an RV if you bolt a cot in the back. So, I am thinking that I can convert one to an all-terrain RV (I will leave the exterior looking like the tarp is up) and use it for hunting and when I come completely accustomed to it maybe some in-town adventures. Thoughts? Also wouldn't classifing it as an RV remove the CDL requirements?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! That being said, use extreme caution with the itch, as it is known to be highly contagious. Consult your local DMV about the CDL, or better yet, drop in at one of your DOT scales. But your probably right about the RV thing.

Of course, hunting requires a proper set of wheels & they (a 5 ton), are "very proper" indeed. Of course you'll need a trailer for your spare gear. A M105 is highly accessible these days for modest prices, or maybe an M1101.

Good Luck

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, I would like to say that I am a brand new member and I would like to thank you guys for how awesome this community is. I am strongly considering getting my first 5 ton. Where I live, you can classify the M92_ series as an RV if you bolt a cot in the back. So, I am thinking that I can convert one to an all-terrain RV (I will leave the exterior looking like the tarp is up) and use it for hunting and when I come completely accustomed to it maybe some in-town adventures. Thoughts? Also wouldn't classifing it as an RV remove the CDL requirements?
Welcome to SS , I'm guesing your looking at a M923 or M925 they are part of the M939 series truck . Here is a link to the operators manual for that series truck , it will help you with the different models and give some knowledge of them when you go shopping .
TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

And thread you should read is this one;
Insurance

WYomer

Im going to have a 5 ton Expansible for sale in Wyoming, just put in the new transfercase this weekend. PM me if you are interested, I think its going to go kinda cheap.

tbar123

Welcome aboard to the heavy green machine, I would suggest that no matter what truck you decide on purchasing. Do a complete and total walk through. All systems,air,coolant,oil,horn,lights,and transmission/transfer case. Test the brakes,any and all of these systems can give you nightmares and empty your pockets, So it's best to pay upfront and have a squared away vehicle to start with. But if you want a cheap truck to work with, that can always be fun putting blood sweat,and tears into your passion!

MtnSnow

OMG....another person infected with the 5-ton green MV disease. :)

My doctor recommended that I buy two and then keep buying other MV toys to go along with them....He said there is no cure, only that you can treat the symptoms of it...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So true I have left 5 tons and went bigger just bought a M985 HEMTT.
So pay heed to warnings I have 3
The **** things are like lays potato chips you can't just have one lol.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Tankmaster, welcome to the site from Cape Cod, MA. Good luck with your truck search. They are a blast to drive and not too bad to work on, just heavy. Remember these truck are 25-30+ years old and will need regular repair and maintenance. Just be ready for it with a lot of studying the TM's and keeping this site as a favorite. Great info and people here. Enjoy your search and the subsequent purchase. You know it will happen! I love my 5 ton. :driver:

Doug Roberts

welcome to the site . Can you register as a farm truck ? Pretty cheap to do here in NC , and as long as you're not 'in the business of ' anything but your own personal property , it gets many of us by

Xxtankmasterx

It is cheap here as well, but that is not an option for two reasons. 1 in Colorado there is a maximum limit you can drive the farm truck from the farm, and the distance varies, the more you pay the larger the radius, with the maximum radius being 150 miles from the farm. 2 is that I don't have a farm. The perimeter of my lot could be walked in a minute or two. I plan on putting it in a garage designed for a class A RV, and it will fit. That's when I am not making the HOA really, really mad about it being parked on the side of the road.

mcmullag

I don't have a CDL and just used mine for parades and titled them as REC VEH. I had to sign a form that I would not use it commercially since it is so heavy.
Technically, the back of your CO driver license states, Class R: Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs as a single unit or in combination......
the 939 series has a gvwr on the data plate of more than that number. The truck weighs 11 tons empty, I would not take one on any mountain shelf road. : ) Have fun, best of luck.

av8or

Your RV plan should work well. No CDL required, works for me. I do have a CDL, but don't need it for my truck. 19,000 miles in the last 12 months, no weight stations, no logs, and no hassle.