• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I joined the CUCV crowd. M1009 now in the motorpool.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Picked it up tonight, since I was solo, I trailered it back home. No blowby, starts nice. Need to tighten the belts and check the glow plugs. But it runs good. It's not a looker by any means. It's going to get sanded down and a coat of OD CARC and a few things body wise addressed. Going to coat the insides with bedliner. Past owner installed leather seats, comfy. Pics to follow sometimes tomorrow. Too dark at 00:58. :lol:

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess you won't be buying mine. The one you got looks like a good buy. With a little effort, should turn out nice. If I can be of help give me call.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Could have driven it home if someone woulda rode with me. [thumbzup]

I'm going to try to tinker with the passenger door and get it lined up a little better this afternoon. Gotta figure out how I'm going to get the passenger quarter panel squared away. I checked with my friend that has a small junkyard and he crushed a K5 just a week or two ago that I could have used. aua

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got a little done on it this afternoon...

1. Ordered replacement quarter panel.
2. Got the passenger door lined up a little better.
3. Tightened up the loose alt. belt.
4. Advanced the pump a tad.
5. Topped off fluids.

Gonna change the fuel filter and snoop around in the junkyard for a taller air cleaner. I think I know where a commercial chevy is that has one of the tall filter housings. Having problem with the kickdown. Switch works (test with meter), but I need to figure out why it's not kicking down.

I'm thinking I'll put it on a 4 or 6" lift. I plan on sliding a set of M1008 axles under it as well when I put it on 37's. Going to try to work on the body this week to prep for paint.

idM1028

Congrats on the buy. I know somebody who's gonna be doing the Doghead relay mod when he figures out everything that's now messed up! If you fried your starter, Rare Electrical sells both the CUCV 24V starters (about $100) and the "super special" isolated ground alts. Supposedly you can run a civvie 12V starter just by moving a wire (See the CUCV wiki. You can find it by googling "CUCV wiki steel soldiers") After my first issue with supposedly "rebuilt" and also free alts and dropping in a new pair from Rare Electrical, I'll swear by them all day long. Also keep your eye on the diffs. I've seen the "time bomb" ten bolts blow up in front of unloaded horse trailers. Turns a 45 minute drive into about 2 days of driving and topping of the gear oil about every 20 minutes. It's not a matter of "if" its a matter of "when" Quite possibly the worst differential built by GM IMHO. Just my 2cents worth.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and I plan on throwing a set of 1008 axles under it. I also wired up the kickdown lead back to the transmission.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess that's one way to mount the relay for easy access.
Need to charge up the cordless drill. It will end up under the dash. Just used a bolt that was already there to test everything. Got the batteries on charge. Guess trying to crank the engine for about 3 minutes was too much. :-(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to charge up the cordless drill. It will end up under the dash. Just used a bolt that was already there to test everything. Got the batteries on charge. Guess trying to crank the engine for about 3 minutes was too much. :-(
Funny, when I did mine last week I had to stop for the dang cordless. I couln't use the slave powered one either.b

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added an SPST switch (well hidden) in line with the purple w white tracer wire as an impromptu security measure. I wanted to retain the 73Y2 key but didn't want just anyone with a cucv key going on a driveabout from the Piggly Wjggly lot.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So the relay mod worked, but it appears the starter solenoid isn't happy anymore. Pulled the starter off. Going to run over to my buddies place tomorrow and see if my old CUCV starter is still around. I re-wired everything and the solenoid seemed to work. Then the starter kicked in and hung. I thought the batteries were dead. But a few seconds of starting and the starter kicked into normal speed. (I assume the brushes) Then hung. GRRRRRRR

Hopefully that other starter is still there. If not, I'm converting to a 12V starter.