• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an Obiwan Kenobi for my M1009~

tristan1775

Okay, so here it goes, I just purchased this rig 3 days ago and I am starting to go through it with my little monkey brain (keep in mind all I have owned are gas engines so my diesel experience is limited), and I am starting to notice little things here and there that I think are a bit off, that the previous owner 1) failed to mention about it or 2) said is normal.

What I am looking for is someone with quite a bit of experience with the 1009, electrical system and diesel engine to come out here- or I come to you so you can help me fix my beast, and teach me about it along the way. I will be more than happy to pay you for your time and I am sure I can throw in the obligatory 6-pack as well.

Or if anyone knows a decent priced mechanic who's well versed in our old military vehicles in the Houston area I could go that route- but they usually aren't too keen about people staying in their garages while work is being done.

Thanks!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must feel the force. Then go find small green guy and put him on your back and go for a run.
Then you will be ready to face the dark side of diesel.

jw4x4

The Force is contained in the TM's here on the site. Best part is that they are free. As long as your 1009 hasn't been Bubba-fied, everything you need is right here. Nothing wrong with requesting assistance and pointers. The best course of action is to gain knowledge and experience so that you become proficient in servicing, repairing, and maintaining it on your own. Be sure to use the SEARCH feature here. There are several Jedi's on board that can help you along the way. Welcome to the MV Side, Luke.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The use of the word "mechanic" or "knowledgeable mechanic" in place of "Obiwan Kenobi" might actually get more people to read your thread and help you.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moving to the CUCV forum.

The stickies are a great place to begin learning about the Force.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding a mechanic that will touch your truck is a daunting task. Most shops will not touch them and those that will you do not want them to.

A fellow member with a M1009 had his batteries stolen. The thieves cut the battery cables. He took it to his regular mechanic to have it fixed. They fixed it alright. NOT! Clamp on battery terminals, zip ties for hold down brackets, etc.

After they where done with it, he brought it to me. $500 and 2 days later I had it back to where it would work.

You do not want to pay a mechanic to learn how to work on your truck.

Finding a fellow member that knows the trucks is a better idea. Barrman is in you general area. He may be able to help out.

Here is a picture of the professional mechanics battery install:

lssv 008.jpg

Last edited:

Barrman

Warthog is correct, I am about 60 miles from you.

I would love to help you get things figured out. My only problem is time available. My son Colton is in band, track, academic UIL competitions and Scouts. I am the local Scoutmaster. This coming week and weekend I have no time. PM me and we can figure something out though.

richingalveston

If you can make it to the Texas City area, I could look at it and tell you what you need to do. You can start a thread to get help fixing your truck. You will need to post picks and detail descriptions of the problems you are having and be ready and start using the TM.