• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Need Some Guidance on First Truck Selection

Parker Shorten

Hello, my name is Parker and I am currently going to collage for diesel mechanics/CDL and when I get out I’m going to look into buying a class 8 semi. I know I should just get a retired Wal-Mart truck and cry my self to sleep but when I laid eyes on a Hemtt Wrecker at a fair, I fell in love. I know I can’t own one and I’m lucky to even sit in one (Scared a lady when I taped the air breaks!) but it got me looking into military trucks as a viable option if not the only option. This truck is going to be used for towing but it will have a lot of down time. In that down time I would like to play in the mud with my friend who has a lifted pick up. The truck will be worked but it’s not going to be used by a business. I know it’s a tall order to have a truck that’s not a highway hazard and still is good when the road ends but I would hate to settle for anything less than one of these military beauties. Currently my eyes are fixed on the M920 or the M932, I love the look of the M1070 but that 45 MPH speed limit is a killer. Plus I’m looking at trucks in the 15K range. I won’t be out of college for a little wile. So, I have time research and dream! Anyway any input or guidance would truly be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a M915A1 with a military Tru-Hitch? Unless you have a bud with a Cat D-7, do not go mudding with a M-920.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Parker, I know how you feel wanting a military rig. I joined this site about a year and a half before getting my first MV.

I currently have a m932a2, but I have never pulled a trailer with it and never plan to (I'll be putting a shortened bed on back). What I can tell you is that I don't like driving mine over 55. The truck will go faster, I just don't feel comfortable at interstate speeds in it. Keep in mind most MV's are designed to go anywhere as long as you are not in a hurry.

dmetalmiki

Set your sights a little lower! (and) start with a "usable" truck that wont BOG DOWN in the mud! you can not expect a 15 ton vehicle to go "jazzing" off road. You will find a deuce more suitable for that combination. and (then) keep the Heavy metal for work tasks. I have a variety of vehicles (and weights) none of which will do what the others will do. (as well).

Parker Shorten

That is one handsome truck! Do you have any specifications on top speed? I assume its 55 but 65 would be perfect! I also saw the M-916 is on the same branch of the family tree but it has AWD. Is it worth it to have that option or would it be more of a burden given that it is almost certainly limited to 55Mph?

Parker Shorten

That makes seance I would prefer to have a good reliable work truck over a (play) truck. What would you suggest for a good work truck? I still have a soft spot for the M-920 due to it having AWD and the truck will be driving on less than ideal ground at the farm. I would have a tractor to come to my rescue if things get sticky but I would like to avoid calling in the cavalry.Shrapnal makes a good point. I drove a International roll back and anything over 45 and that thing got scary! And the M915A1 NDT suggested is a great looking truck! Would it be reasonable off road? Not mud truck just a "not get burred to the axles at the first hint of bud" truck? Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions!

Parker Shorten

I know what you mean about driving beyond a trucks limits. I drove a International roll back and that got scary with anything over 45 MPH and International expected it to get up to 70! The truck wont be on the high way that much but it will see a lot of hilly back roads and fields with less than ideal footing. Also, does anyone know the height of the 5th wheel on the matte beauties? Most on road trucks are 48 inches (give or take) can I hook up to a standard trailer or would it be like trying to hook up a 1/4 ton utility trailer to monster truck?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope the M915A1 is a highway only rig. Mine starts to spin on wet grass. But it is fast and commercially viable.

Parker Shorten

Is it better off the highway when you have weight on the rear wheels? It would be nice for it to handle 1-4 inches of soupy mud with hard pack dirt/granite under it? I would have CAT 420E to save me but I would love to avoid that situation all together.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been my experience that when you are in the slop you better be 6x6 or it is game over. Tires such as 395's would help the 6x4 M915 but no magic bullet.

Parker Shorten

A 6X6 might be a must. A winch wont "really" help none but I don't know if I could get away with 6x4. I have gotten around in my 2WD pickup but it doesn't weight 15 tons.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
List your state in your location, that's the rule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks