• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I often wondered about this conversion!

raiburn

Not enough power to rationalize this swap. I'm not sure how its possible, but it has even less power than the wimpy stock motor. Just skip that step, and go stright to a Duramax! 355 HP/ 505 TQ. Thats what these trucks deserve.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other day I was searching the internet about NV4500 conversions and came across an article where a gent installed an NV4500 in an old Dodge Power Wagon. While the guy was at it he installed the same 4 cylinder Cummins engine. Since the NV4500 can easily be bolted to an NP208 transfer case this got me thinking about installing a 4 cylinder Cummins with an NV4500 in to my M1009. The 4 cylinder Cummins is a very popular engine and from what I've seen they bring a pretty high price. Would make for a neat conversion though.

Ruppster

91W350

I know of one in a M715 and it is a powerhouse in that chassis, but then, they are geared even lower than our trucks. The Cummins is a lower rpm engine than the 6.2, top end would suffer. Unlike the 6.2 though, you can run the Cummins on the governor all day long and not hurt it any. They are very conservatively set. I am also sure the horsepower numbers are down without the rpm, they do have decent torque numbers though and are easy to increase power by pump settings. I thought I would toss it out there when I found it, I was hoping maybe somebody here has done one.

12vctd

Not enough power to rationalize this swap. I'm not sure how its possible, but it has even less power than the wimpy stock motor. Just skip that step, and go stright to a Duramax! 355 HP/ 505 TQ. Thats what these trucks deserve.

Not enough power, thats really a false state ment maybe in stock form but a 4bt is easy to get large power numbers out of. Its more than capable to produce a reliable 400hp for the ones with a inline injection pump, with not much more than injectors and mild pump work, and a turbo. With modifying any large parts (ie turbo injectors, ect) and just pump work on a VE pump motor 250 hp is a very possible reality with simple injection pump tweaks, and thats also producing over 500ft lbs. Theres many versions of this motor, the problem with the 4bt swaps usually are they cost as much as a 6bt, and they vibrate and are noiser than thier 6bt brothers. Most people who go with a 4bt for the 5 inches in length savings, and they are about 300lbs lighter. And thou a Duramax swap would be O so fun that is a very hard motor to come by and when you do its very pricey for just the motor. I can preform a 6bt swap from start to finish for close to the avg cost of a duramax. I have swapped a 4bt in a nissan patrol, and a scout and both swaps were very straight forward. I have done many 6bt into straight axle chevys and they also are simple swaps, thou i have never put a 4bt in a straight axle chevy from my experience I belive it would be very simple, with would give you more room to play with front to rear, but I still think the optimum placement would put the rear of the 4bt in the same spot as a 6bt.

For the skeptics on 4bt power look up Wayne Robbins 4bt powered ranger, over 700hp there, and Chaz lightner 66 Bronco its well in the 300 range last time i read about it. The other thing to note is a cummins motor 6bt of 4bt will outlast just about anything else there is to swap, so if you plan on keeping your girl around for a long time thats just another wonderful advantage.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chevrolet : Blazer:eBay Motors (item 280395655136 end time Sep-17-09 03:33:32 PDT)

The 4BT was pretty popular in cranes, bread/chip delivery vans, fork lifts etc.. It looks like it would be an easy install in a M1008 or M1028. I always wondered how the 4 cylinder Cummins would do in a CUCV. He is making some crazy milage claims. Glen

Cummins engines were available in GM light trucks from the dealer back in the middle 80's. You ordered it from the dealer, truck was built and then sent to Cummins for the refit. GM warranted the truck and Cummins the engine.

Attachments

12vctd

But for the true 4bt experts go to www.4btswaps.com theres guys on here who have put 4bt motors into all kinds of vehicles. But if you can source a cheap 4bt I would say that would be a great repower, more power than any 6.2, flat tq curve, and great milage, and with a little tweaking you can have more. Even more so if you find a p pump 4bt. but both the ve and p pump respond to most all the same mods that the 6bt pumps respond to.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of one in a M715 and it is a powerhouse in that chassis, but then, they are geared even lower than our trucks. The Cummins is a lower rpm engine than the 6.2, top end would suffer.

That's where an overdrive tranny comes in. The Blazer on eBay above has a 700R4 overdive automatic. The gent that used the 4BT in the Power Wagon that I mentioned used a 5 speed NV4500 that was overdrive in 5th along with changing the axle gears from 5.83 to 4.89. With the right gearing the lower redline of the 4BT is not a problem.

Ruppster

91W350

I think the cruising speed of 50 mph would still be good, the top end runs would be slower. The 6.2 is governed around 3400, but it has no business running anywhere close to that for any extended period. I still think it would be an interesting rig, no doubt better with an overdrive. I do not think we would give up anything in terms of really useable speeds though.

12vctd

in my old 6bt/nv4500 truck with 33 inch tall tires at 2000rpm I was going 59 mph on my gps. and @ 22oo rpms i was at 65, 70 mph was almost 2400 rpms. I then switched to a set of 37 in tires and was able to cruise at 70 mph just barely over 2100 rpms, I found that was the best combination for me, for my use of the truck and even with 37's and about 5 inches of custom lift( 4 inch shackle flip on the rear and a 1 inch zero rate, and custom front 52 inch springs with a pack built by me and national spring) the truck could still hook up to my gooseneck trailer, it was actually still 1/2 inch lower at the tailgate than my 97 dodge 3500. It ran do the highway smooth and was a very capable truck both off road and on. I could shoot my self for parting with that truck, but I gave it to my nephew for a graduation gift.

Now back to why I was posting this for a 4bt a 700r4 could be used with its .7 to 1 od ratio, a nv 4500 has .73 to 1, usgears Od has a .80 to 1 ratio.

I know of a 4bt in a 67 chevy C10 2wd truck and they went with a 200r4 trans for the .67 od ratio 100mph in that truck i was told was around 2500 rpms

A 4bt with a 31 inch tire and just a th400 would be at 2500 rpms at 50 mph 33's would put that motor at just a hair over 2300 rpms. and 3000 rpm for 65mph with 33's now fuel economy would suffer but you can easily change the gov on a ve pump to fuel to 3200 rpm and both the 4bt and 6bt would survive and a 35 inch tire would lower the rpms as well.

Last edited:

91W350

That 67 sounds kind of cool, a little odd, but cool. I know they run delivery trucks down the highway at 70 with them and get decent mileage, which is the delivery companies goal.... economy. Those delivery trucks are like pushing a sail through the air. When I was working for the bread company, Rainbo, we had a bunch of old Ford six powered trucks that would run around 55 mph and get 6-7 miles per gallon. They later swapped in some 4BT engines and still governed them at 55, but they would pull around 12 mpg and ran much easier. If I stumble upon a reasonable 4BT, I will snag it for sure. Maybe down the road I can swap one in a CUCV. The sixes do a fantastic job in my Dodges, but they are pulling a 3.54 gear. I always wanted to find a SRW 89-early91 one ton with the 6BT and auto.... 3.08 gear. The Chrysler overdrive was problematic. For my uses a 3.08 and no innercooler would have been fine. A swap to a five speed in one of those would be even better.

12vctd

Ive had really good luck with the a518 od thou i do wished it was a full lock up version. Yes the 1st gen diesel dodges are a very tough truck much like the cucv, just a better motor imo. I snag every one I can find, thou dont tell my wife or I would be on house arrest. its hard to beat leaf springs and soild axles with diesel motor that can get good milage and produce great power. I wished dodge kept the leaf spring suspension under thier trucks instead of switching to coils and that problematic trackbar. guess thats why i have only bought 1 and wont buy anymore.

I have just the beast your talking about a 89 W350 non intercooled with a 727 NP205 and 3.08 gears, hasnt left our farm in years, it serves its purpose plowing in the winter, and daily feedin on the farm. I used to drive it daily to work and it consistenly got 20 mpg. But a 3200 rpm gov spring on a ve pumped 1st gen really helps the truck both pulling trailers and for top speed.

But yes the 4bt would be a wonderful repower, I seriously think most go with 6bts just because the cost of the 4bts can be as much if not higher than a 6bt. In my local craigslist theres 3 6bts for sale all 2000 and lower but I can only find 1 4bt and they want 3k for it. If someone is not trying to build massive amounts of power a 4bt is more ideal. As you said they power box/bread trucks with GVW up to 20k lbs on a daily basis. I have thought I trying to figure the scrap value of a vehicle for that route, I know most vans are alum bodies, and the remaining frame and other parts might just make finding a van cheaper than a 6bt. The other diesel nut in my area has about 4 of those vans for storage on the back part of his farm. that could be another use to make the cost easier to swallow.

Last edited:

B3.3T

That engine worked just fine in the SOCOM Jeep TJ I owned last year. 28mpg at 70mph all day long. Plenty of beans on hill off-road. It's gearing and torque that count, not horsepower.

Croatan_Kid

Getting rid of my 6.2 was probably the best mod I ever did :-D I love the 6.2s and all that, but damn my truck is quick now! Plus, I average 19 mpg :twisted: and my truck is not what you could consider aerodynamic.

12vctd

all this talk of 4bts got my blood going, and well I have decided to do a 4bt swap, and even have found a motor. I was able to find on craigslist a 4bt backed by a t-18 trans, best of all I am trading for it on of my spare p7100 injection pumps and a turbo i have. I now need to source a m1008 or m1028 for the swap. I hope to find one missing motor and trans and transfer as I want to put a nv4500 I have already and a 205. The main reason I want to try this swap is (well 1 thats my fun) but 2 I want to build a truck more geared for off highway than on. and 300lbs is a a good weight savings, and a 4bt is very close in weight to a 6.2. I think I have done enough research to get around 200-225 hp at the rear wheels with over 500ft lbs, and still be reliable. These numbers are low for the big power numbers alot of people strive for but I think would suit the truck well, heck thats more power to the rear wheels than my slightly modified 96 F350 had a few years back, and that truck preformed wonderful for my work needs and weighed considerably more since it was a crewcab. So now its time to start searching for the perfect truck for this swap. And thank you 91W350 for planting this evil seed.

91W350

Get her done and I will have to see if I can rattle down for a ride. I have been around a lot of Cummins powered pickups and love them. The one I kept is one of five 1st generation Dodges I have been blessed with. They are a remarkable engine. I have also been around several 4BT engines and know them to be excellent as well. I think you will have a very sweet truck that should cruise 50-55 with no trouble, yet still be a real horse in the field. Glen