• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I need to change my glow plugs

m1garand_man

I have a 1986 m1009 that has 104,000 miles on it. The last time I know the glowplugs were changed was about 3 or 4 years ago around 70,000 miles.

The truck has been converted to 12v and professionally rewired by the last owner. The resitor bank was removed. the starter is a 12v and the drivers side alternator was removed. I've heard all the bad stuff about 12v conversions but that's another can of worms to open up at another time. So far I havent had any electrical problems other than loose connections once in a while.

The issue is when I start the truck up for the first time in the morning I get a bit of a shaking vibration after the engine turns over. the temp out side in the mornings has been in the 50's so there shouldnt be any problems starting. The shaking makes me think that at least one cylinder isnt firing at first. After a few seconds and a little throttle it goes away.

I think my assessment is correct and now I have to change the glow plugs.

I am wondering about a couple things.

1. what glow plug should I use since its now a 12v system. I would like to use self regulating ones if possible.

2. If one turns out to be swollen (I hope not badly) How should I remove it?

I dont want to shoot it out with the cylinder compression because of the noise attracting attention and I dont want the resulting projectile to to damage the truck or me.

The best idea I have heard is to cut a 10mmx1tpmm nut in half and clamp the two halves to the glow plug threads with a pare of vice grips and contine to unscrew it

Any other ideas?

As a final thought. I think the reason for glow plug failure may be from when would restart the truck in the morning after letting it run for a while and wouldnt let the plugs cycle all the way before cranking it over. This was before I knew better. I maybe did it on one or two dozen occasions but that was also about 10 months ago and I havent been having glow plug issues untill now.

Ken_86gt

There is really no reason to change the plugs unless they have failed. I don't see in your post that you have tested them yet. It is far easier to test than to change them out. There are so many posts about glow plugs, all of your questions have been asked and answered, just use the search function. If you still are having trouble post again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GPs go bad, just like lightbulbs and bologna left out on the counter.

3 years is exceptional.

Replace them with whatever is in it now(they obviously were great!)

Deal with any swollen GPs, if and when you find them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks