• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I put the wrong gear lube in the transmission

Blood_of_Tyrants

O wise Steel Soldier sages, I need your wisdom.

I drained the transmission to install a PTO for a winch and looked at the stuff that came out and decided that it was too dirty to put back in. So I go to tractor supply and got two gallons of 90W/140 gear oil. Put in about 1 1/2 gallons and filled it up. The very first thing I noticed was hard shifting. So I think to myself, the clutch needs a bit of adjusting. After adjusting so that there is only about an inch of free pedal I checked the shifting (engine running of course) and noticed no difference.

So I look at the various manuals until I find that the proper gear oil weight is 75W/80. I'm thinking that I put gear lube that is far too heavy for the tranny and i need to drain it again and replace it with lighter weight oil.

What is your opinion, oh wise ones?

Lorax

I almost did the same thing today. Was about to start filling the trans when noticed the container said 80W140. Doh! Picked up the from thing from the store.

I'd recommend draining and refilling with W90.

poppop

That GL 1 could be important. It is a point a lot of people don't know. My antique John Deere's require Gl 1. Most modern equipment takes Gl 5. Gl 5 is said to eat the yellow metals used in the older bushings. Some people say it does not matter. Me, I don't take no chances, I make sure I have Gl 1.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, these things were built when MT1 was the best there was. As long as you use an oil that has an MT1 rating...yellow metals, like the synchros, you will be fine. It should be an 85/90wt though.

jwaller

GL1 and MT1. but I forget who is was on here that talked with a spicer rep and he said they recommend 50wt. but bc the mil wanted standardized fluids they just put 80-90 in it. I wonder what it would act like with 50wt?

poppop

The shim idea is a good one. I installed a pto on a Chevy C-60 and thought I had the free play set right. When the trans heated up from running the freeplay disappeared and the pto whinned like crazy. Had to add more shims.