• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I visited the "Mutt" factory last Week...

Tanner

American Growler facility in North Carolina -

Neat to see all the old & used spare parts in the facility & also see the new & improved 'sons of Mutt' that they are building for the V22 Osprey program -

Tanner

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
nopics

hee hee, I couldn't resist :razz:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Is that a towable gun with a lunette that clamps to the barrel, so that the barrel can serve as the drawbar?

Interesting... but don't forget to take off the lunette before firing! :shock:

nattieleather

Does anyone know what diesel motor they are using? Not that I would want to change the perfect M151, but if one where to change what motor would work?

Tanner

nattieleather said:
Does anyone know what diesel motor they are using? Not that I would want to change the perfect M151, but if one where to change what motor would work?
In the civilian version they are using the Ford 2.3 industrial motor adapted to the 151 transmission.

The diesel, IIRC, is an MWM unit - http://www.motoresdiesel.com.au/Sprint Technical Data.pdf

It's a 4 cylinder turbocharged unit, possibly the Sprint series... http://www.motoresdiesel.com.au/Sprint brochure.pdf

UV100DB -

They have built a version with the Chevy Vortec 4.3 V6; a six-wheeler hot rod -

Tanner

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Or keep one in the bed of a deuce for a spare.....Looks like you could just gun it and ramp it off the bed without a ramp like jumping a dune buggy.

NEIOWA

nf6x said:
Is that a towable gun with a lunette that clamps to the barrel, so that the barrel can serve as the drawbar?

It's would be pretty hard to forget as that is a mortar not a gun (round is loaded at the muzzle/top).

nf6x

Feral Engineer
NEIOWA said:
nf6x said:

It's would be pretty hard to forget as that is a mortar not a gun (round is loaded at the muzzle/top).
Thank you. I will sleep better tonight knowing that. :)

Tanner

NEIOWA said:
Tanner said:
I'd love to supply photos, but something called a "Non-Disclosure Agreement" & security prevents me from taking and posting photos... :shock:

http://www.capitaldefense.com/AmericanGrowler.shtml

Tanner
Cute lil bugger but (from their web site) "OEM that builds new state of the art vehicles for the US military." That would be ANCIENT art.
Actually, to dispel a lot of rumor mongering out there, I found out & saw firsthand that they are NOT MUTT's whatsoever... More like "MUTT 2.0" or "son of MUTT" -

The suspension is air-ride, with ability to increase/decrease ride height, coil-over spring/shock arrangements, modern high-perf disc brakes, modern unibody structure, etc.

They are building some variants with Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6 engines, autobox transmissions, etc... They have some 6x6 versions that are super-cool as well -

They do, however, have a facility a short distance away that builds modern MUTT's & restores originals with newly fabbed tubs -

And yes, they are street-legal -

Tanner

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks